(Closed) Upgrading Diamond?

posted 7 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Should I upgrade from 1 carat to 1.5 carat?


    No way. You won't even notice the difference.

    Ehh. You should probably wait a while.

  • Post # 3
    6665 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

    @Soon_To_Be_Mrs_T:  your ring is so pretty! If it won’t bother your fi and if you’ve already earmarked the money and won’t be getting a wedding band then I dont see why not! If anyone asks you you can explain it that way-you got something new for the wedding but just not a band! Good luck!

    Post # 4
    1266 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

    Looks like you’ll get at least another mm in size if you switch to 1.5 – if you’re forgoing a band and have the money set aside, do it! 

    Post # 5
    1258 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

    I do think you would notice a difference with half a carat, but I think the diamond size you have now looks great on you!  Also, the ring you have now was made for a one carat….depending on the ring itself you may have to have the whole thing remade…yikes….put that  with the cost of the new diamond and it could be a lot of money.

    It’s your choice though….I would personally leave it like it is.


    Post # 6
    3208 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

    @Soon_To_Be_Mrs_T:  Is your ring size slated to fit a certain carat size? I know that a lot of Tacoris will have medium and large heads. They’ll set a new stone for you (for a charge) if it’s within the slated carats, but if it is bigger, they do NOT just change the head. Instead, I think they will buy back your ring at 75% of the MSRP and let you repurchase a new setting with a larger head. 

    I’d speak to your Tacori partner before making the decision to upgrade! My ring’s specifications would have fit anywhere between a 1-5 carat diamond, and when I asked about that, my jeweller said that it was misleading. My ring is made to hold a 6.5-7mm RB diamond, and anything outside of those confines would require me to trade in my setting for one that is custom made to a larger stone. However, it’s a lot easier to ugrade carat size when you don’t have a halo, so double check before you get your heart set on anything!

    Post # 7
    891 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

    Your ring is seriously really pretty. While I am all on board for a bigger stone, I don’t think right now would be an ideal time to do so. Also, that ring looks perfect on your finger, I don’t think it gets lost at all. How long have you had it for?

    Post # 8
    3051 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

    I voted wait because I think going from a 1 ct to 2 ct would be REALLY nice and if you can wait then it’d be worth it!

    Post # 9
    17 posts


    I think a 1 carat diamond which is already 6.5 mm in diameter is a good size for an average size finger like around size 6.

    If going higher in carat, you essentially want a larger girdle diameter for the diamond, meaning more bling factor ★彡

    If that is the case, why not go for a 2 carat diamond which is a diameter around 8.1mm which will make a quite noticeable difference in size as well as the fact that the price is just over double the price of a well cut 1 carat size stone.

    I am planning on doing that in the future.

    Post # 10
    576 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

    I totally understand the shrinkage thing!

    Mine is a 1.5, and at first I thought it was huge but now I sort of wish It was 2. The thing is, if I’m going to upgrade (which would be a tougher choice for me emotionally) I wouldn’t do it for a 1/2 carat difference…I’d upgrade to 2.5 or 3, and probably later down the road.

    I don’t think it matters WHEN you upgrade (it would just be a bad use of money for us right now) but I’d get something like 1.8-2.2 so that you feel it was worthwhile!

    The topic ‘Upgrading Diamond?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors