Post # 1
So a little birdie told me that my lovely hubby is planning on buying me a new iPhone for our anniversary next month, but he’s a Samsung man so knows very little about iPhones and needs a bit help deciding on which one he should get. My problem is that *I* myself don’t even know which one I prefer!
I currently have an iPhone 4s that I got a few years ago and is now slowly dying on me (the sound doesn’t work and my contacts get deleted after I’m forced to restart it, to name a few) so I’m more than excited to upgrade! Hubby and I were actually at the mall yesterday and we happened to walk by the Apple store so we went in and I was playing around with both phones for the longest time but I just could not decide, even after talking to an employee who himself was trying to figure out which one to get (not much help). There is just under $200 difference between the two so the price isn’t TOO big of a factor in my decision. However, these are some things I am considering as my pros and cons for the iPhone 6 (perhaps not the usual things people look at LOL)…
- I like the way iPhone 5s looks more than 6 (probably because I have 4s) but the 4s screen is a little wider so while I like the look of the 5s, the screen almost feels too small!
- I thought my small hands were a factor in choosing 5s vs 6 because I could not reach some apps that were at the top of the screen on the iPhone 6 while holding the phone with one hand. That is until one of the employees showed me that double tapping on the home button causes the screen to go down, allowing me to reach all the apps (mind = blown).
- This is kind of shallow but there are very limited amounts of nice looking cases for iPhone 6 vs the TONS of beautiful cases you can get for the 5s. At the same time, I do realize that the cases for the 6 will come eventually but I would definitely need to get whichever one I could get right away as I’d be terrified of breaking it.
- Bringing me to this next point… I can’t shrug all those rumors about the iPhone 6 bending easily. I assume it’s common sense just like if you step on it you will probably break the screen. But I just keep hearing these things over and over again that I’m starting to wonder…
- I keep thinking “well if it’s only under $200 difference, I should get the newer one!”
- I don’t usually follow the trend of getting a new iPhone as soon as it comes out but I also use my phones until they die on me, so I know that whichever one I get, I will have for a long period of time… which, again, brings me to wonder if that’s a good reason to get the newer one.
- Getting a new phone would be so amazing (and expensive) that I most likely would not let hubby buy me anything for Christmas and just have the phone be my gift for both our anniversary and Christmas since they are a month apart. So a part of me started wondering… if I get the iPhone 5s, maybe I could then get a Michael Kors wristlet/wallet I’ve been in love with for a while now with the price difference……. but that’s just a thought 😉
There are TONS of websites and youtube videos comparing the specs of the two, but I’m more interested in hearing opinions from people who have experience with one or both of the phones and from someone who has used it on a daily basis, instead of just comparing the phones for a review. I’m also interested how the size has worked out for you (if you own the 6) and if you had the 5s and decided to upgrade to 6, do you regret it?
Thank you soo much!
Post # 2
- Wedding: May 2015 - Walnut Hill Bed & Breakfast
I’d get the 6 if you’re okay with the size. Make sure you try putting it in your pocket, sitting down, etc etc. However you usually use your phone. Always better to go newer if you can.
The bending problem is more with the 6 plus, not the 6. If it’s even a problem.
Ps. If you have verizon, i think they’re doing some kind of deal where you can trade in your 4S for a 6 for free. Surely there’s some catch but its worth looking into.
Post # 3
Get the 6. I don’t think 4s to 5s is a significant enough difference.
Post # 4
I upgraded from the 4S to the 6. the 6 is SO LIGHT, and feels really good in my hand. The size is shocking at first, but after a couple days I didn’t even notice it anymore – it just feels like a phone, and I hardly ever double tap on the home button – i have short thumbs and they can reach pretty well. The power button is on the side now, which takes a little getting used to. There are already a ton of lovely cases on Etsy for the 6 (which is where I usually buy my phone cases, they have such charming designs!). I got the gold 64GB 6 (a shit ton more storage for only $100 more than the 16GB sounded like a no brainer) and the gold is so lovely with the white designs from the antenna that I just got a clear case for the time being from amazon for like 10 bucks.
I keep it in my back pocket some times. I’m not a small lady. It’s not bending. Consumer reports tested all the smartphones – they all bend.
Post # 5
tattiibee: I went from the 4 to the 6 and I love it. I don’t upgrade my phones very often – one very 4 or so years but when I do, I want the latest version. The size took me by surprise at first since I have small hands, but like stephncollins mentioned, it’s very light so I got used to it pretty quickly and now I love the larger screen.
Cases aren’t as plentiful as the older versions, but Case-Mate has some really cute ones http://www.case-mate.com/iphone-6-cases/iphone-6-cases.asp. I got the Sheer Glam one since it was the only left at Best Buy that I liked, and I thought it’d be festive to have for the wedding. You can always just get a temporary one and change it later when you see one that you really like.
You can customize a case at Zazzle too. http://www.zazzle.com/iphone+6+cases
Post # 6
I have a 6 and can’t imagine having a 5s. My vote is for the 6!
Post # 7
tattiibee: I was in the exact same boat as you a few weeks ago.
I couldnt decide and i was even looking at those michael kors wallets! hahah
Honestly, just go to the store and play with it. I was pretty much set on the 5 because i thought the 6 was monstrous, but after comparing it, it was still smaller than the s5 (size was a main concern for me). It is super easy to text on and i really like it.
Then again, i never updated the IOS on my iphone 4s so it really is a whole new phone for me LOL Plus i got a super cute case from a kiosk at the mall. Or you can buy one online. The apple store had ugly expnesive ones. I am sure Michael Kors will come out with a case soon!
Post # 8
leisha606: Oh my! Are we the same person?! Haha… I never update my iphone either! In fact, the employee at the apple store was laughing at the fact that he hasn’t seen an iPhone 4s that still has voice control (instead of Siri) in AGES so I could technically sell it as a rare item LOL! Aw man..
Thank you so much you guys. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with the 6 ! Now to decide on a color… 🙂
Post # 9
I don’t personally have either but I work with them all day. The only major problem I’ve seen with the 6 is that it will sometimes lose service and nothing you do will make it start working again. You end up having to replace it, which is a pain right now because it’s a lengthy wait right now. I’ve seen it happen with the other iPhones too but not nearly as much as the 6 and 6 plus. Other than that everyone I’ve talked to that had the 6 loved it. I don’t think you can really go wrong with either.
Post # 10
I’ve had all 3 of the phones you are considering. I would go with the 6 only because when I put ios8 on my 5s it was so slow and killed the battery. You get used to the size of the 6. I almost took it back because it felt too big but I’m comfortable with it now. Happy soon to be new phone day!
Post # 11
I love my 6 so far. I also upgraded from a 4s and it’s a big jump! But it hasn’t been anything crazy or hard to get used to. I love the size! I got a clear case from Amazon that I’m using right now- I’ll likely replace it when there are other more 6 cases available, but for now the clear case is great! I have the gold one and I like seeing the back of the phone through the case, silly as it sounds! I accidentally knocked my phone off of a ledge and it fell down our stairs and onto the hardwood, and it didn’t have a scratch! (I’m notoriously clumsy, so my case definitely has plenty of gel-plastic around the phone, lol).
Post # 12
I’m still working with a iPhone 4 but basically the same thing as yours. Verizon was having a big thing that if you bought an iPhone 6 from them, they’d give you a 200 credit, if you turned in your iPhone 4 or higher model to them, towards your bill…so the phone is basically ‘free’. Made my decision easier 🙂
Post # 13
I have a 5S. I would never pay full price for a phone when I could get it for $200 or less when renewing my contract. I just get whatever is newest when I’m due for an upgrade. With that said, I love the 5S, but I have heard very good things about the 6, people love it.
Post # 14
tattiibee: GOLD!!!! It’s so pretty!!
Post # 15
Go with the most up to date (so definitey the 6). You’ll get use to the size. I have tiny hands and I do just fine with my Samsung Galaxy S4.