(Closed) Using A Midwife/ Natural Birth

posted 8 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
5540 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

I haven’t had one, but I do want to BE one. There are two types of midwife, a nurse midwife who has a bachelor and then a master’s or doctorate in nurse midwifery. They can do the home, non medicated birth you want but in the unlikely chance something does happen they can start medical treatments more quickly because they have much more intensive medical training. Then there are just regular midwives which is a technical certificate kind of thing. They still have the training for a birth but they can pretty much only do the totally non intervention birth. At least around here, most practices have a nurse midwife then several other midwifes. The major difference being a nurse midwife can do medical, in hospital births in addition to the natural, center or home births but either one will refer to a full ob should you have any complications in your pregnancy like diabetes, pregnancy induced hypertension and some other conditions. There are also doulas, who are lay people who act as your supporter, using relaxation techniques, managing things like set up, and various other totally non-medical things. Personally, I want to go with a nurse midwife in a birthing center whenever we finally have kids. All the comforts of home that I don’t have to clean and the knowledge that the person delivering my baby has minimally 6 years of higher education and the ability to use medical interventions if needed. I would look specificly in your area to see what is offered by different practices.

The topic ‘Using A Midwife/ Natural Birth’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors