(Closed) Using a sick day on New years eve…POLL

posted 5 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: How should I take off NYE?

Put in sick time today and make a note about last minute doc appointment

Put in sick time today with no explanation

Just call in that morning and say I'm not feeling well

Elaborate ruse: fake sick tomorrow afternoon to go home early and call in the next morning

Use a regular vacation day and forfeit my sick days

• Post # 61
    1729 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Definitely take a vacation day. I’m not saying I’ve never taken a sick day when I wasn’t actually sick but it’s way too suspicious on a holiday. 

Happy New Year!

Post # 62
    486 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2016

I totally see what you mean, but I also don’t understand why you couldn’t use PTO?

Post # 63
    2170 posts
    Buzzing bee

For all the bees who say they would NEVER call in and say they were sick when they weren’t…… here’s your round of applause. 

Post # 64
    893 posts
    Busy bee

I think it’ll be very obvious you aren’t sick because it’s a holiday. The specific day would worry me, otherwise if you’ve never had a sick day this year I don’t think it would be a big deal. 

Post # 65
    415 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    babygrandmabee:  +1

ROFL!

Can we please put this into context?

OP calls in sick so infrequently that she actually has un-used days that she will forfeit at the end of the year.

Yes people will probably know she’s not “really” sick.

At the end of the day, let’s not delude ourselves into thinking that this is a going to be a death blow to her career and a cataclysmic moral offense against society at large. 

As for managers starting files on people calling in fake sick and laying the groundwork to fire them…. honestly I would not want to work for a lame-ass company that would allow a manager to overlook a year’s worth of good work for one mental health day. I’d be like are you kidding me, time to update the resume and SEEE Ya. 

Post # 67
    436 posts
    Helper bee

I would go to work. You should have requested the day off in advance.

Just FYI… don’t lie about a doctor appointment. Most everything closes way early on NYE to celebrate the holiday. They will known it is a lie.

Post # 68
    6891 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
    Kikibear:  How old are you?  And hate to tell you most companies will care and do care.  Sick days are for what it is being sick.  

Post # 69
    3436 posts
    Sugar bee

It’s not unheard of for employees to actually be sick on holidays (case in point, sister’s family all had norovirus over Christmas.)

I’m just thinking if our receptionist called in sick on NYE – I’d think “ok” and maybe giggle and move on with life. And we are employment attorneys. We also aren’t dicks.

Post # 70
    178 posts
    Blushing bee

I vote for you to just ask for the day off, if your really not needed I don’t see why your request would be denied. Mind you I work for my family so  if I need thr day off I just tell them, I don’t know how it works in the corporate world, but it seems like a common sense kind of question. 

Hopefully it works out in your favor though however you play it- have fun at your party!!

Post # 71
    6891 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
    babygrandmabee:  Some of us do not get “sick days”, we get PTO that is it.  I have to use my vacation days if I am sick, plus if I call in sick I actually get dinged for unexcused absence so yeah I don’t do “fake sick” 

Post # 72
    1887 posts
    Buzzing bee

I’m all for the once-in-a-while pulling a sickie, mental health day, whatever you want to call it, but it’s too suspicious on a holiday like New Year’s Eve, especially if you’re throwing a party and could end up tagged in pictures. Either take a vacation day or suck it up and go to work. I know it’s annoying to have to be in when the office is dead, but just try to enjoy how much Internet browsing you can get away with.

Post # 73
    252 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

View original reply
    Kikibear:  I agree. Time off is time off, and is all the same according to pay.  I wish they would just have it all PTO, no questions asked–to be used for vaca, sick time, whatever.  It’s all the same, just different labels.

In my personal experience, I really haven’t thought twice/cared/or even considered weird if a coworker was sick or gone right before a holiday. Maybe I just don’t pay that much attention.  The next workday will come and everyone will be like “oh! how was your weekend?” and not even remember that you weren’t there on NYE.

Post # 74
    319 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    Rafissch:  I am not at all too goody two shoes to call in sick when I am not all that sick, but I wouldnt on a holiday and risk the liar reputation. ESP since you say you arent a liar, it would suck to be labeled one. If you haven’t missed one day and you are as honest and reliable as you say, why not just ask for the day off? Just make your case to your boss that its a slow day and you wouldnt want to call out on a holiday, but would love the day off if he doesn’t need you. He will probably say yes and appreciate the honesty. 

Post # 75
    11385 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2015

I really can’t believe what I’m reading. Those of you who think everyone does this… You’re projecting.

I have never in my life called in sick when I wasn’t, in fact I can’t remember the last time I called in sick at all.  I have taken days off for surgery. That’s it. 

Not only will your boss know, but as someone who has had to work when other people called on “sick” around major holidays, way to make friends. 

I’m pretty disgusted by the attitude that it’s weird of us not to lie to get a day off. You’re judging us for not lying? Lol. Good luck with that. 

OP, just ASK YOUR BOSS for the day off since you say they don’t need you. They’re going to know you’re lying otherwise.

The topic ‘Using a sick day on New years eve…POLL’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors