Number of weeks currently: 19 weeks 3 days
EDD: June 3rd
number of c-sesecond ons/vbacs: first birth – csection. Planning my second birth to be a VBAC
reason for csection(s): I failed to progress past 5cm after 26 hrs of labor so I gave in to having a csection. I was also told my pelvis was too small for my 9lb 2 oz baby boy.
current birthplan: I’m ccurrently just hoping for the chance to try a vbac, no matter where or how.
Here’s my story.
With my first, I was hoping for a calm, natural unmedicated hospital water birth. The hospital I delivered at only had one water birthing tub so I knew that the water birth may not happen so I also took hypnobirthing classes as well. In short, looking back, I let my worry-wart side of me take over and did a number of things that I feel know I should have done differently. I ended up checking in at the hospital with my water trickling and only at 1 cm, with my baby no where near the right station. After 26 hrs of labor, I never progressed past 5 cm, baby boy never dropped, contractions were close but irregular in length and intensity the whole time, andI I was exhausted. Each passing hour made me feel more and more like a failure at getting the birth I had hoped for. (Again my worry-wart side is my worst enemy) and so my midwife suggested we talk csection which made me cry. I ended up giving in and had my baby boy on Jan 21st, 2013 via csection.
September 2013 I found out I was pregnant again. We were surprised it happened so quickly (it took me 1.5 years before getting pregnant with my first) even though I knew women are more fertile after giving birth. At my first appointment with my midwife, she gives me the bad news. 1) the natural birth friendly hospital I delivered at before was now not an option because they don’t do vbacs. 2) the only other hospital I could deliver at IF I stayed with her practice is my local regional hospital, which I hate going to for anyhing…I never have a good experience there. 3) because my pregnancies are close and I had a 9 lb baby, I’m going to be seen as a bad candidate for a vbac. …..I searched other hospitals and practices but switching meant having appointments more than 45 mins away and delivering at hospitals almost an hour away no matter where I looked, so I decided to stay with her.
With each appointment since then, I’ve felt more and more discouraged by her and her office. I know they aressupposed to let you know the risks involved but they also keep “warning” me that a vbac may not be an option. Some of the reasonings have been if this baby turns out to be estimated to be more than 7 lbs the hospital won’t okay it. And “they” (I’m assuming this is the hospital she is referring to) keep saying I’m not a good candidate because of how close my pregnancies are.
After this last appointment, i was in tears over the lack of support I felt. And so I’ve decided to start re-researching my options and I most likely am going to switch providers. I’m currently leaning towards a hospital that is an hour from me but ranks in the top five in my state for high successful vbac rates, and I’m also on the waiting list for a birth center that is 1.5 hours from me and is extremely vbac supportive.
I just feel as though I deserve that second chance at trying for a vaginal birth no matter what size this baby turns out to be. It may end up the same way, and ill be okay with that, just as long as I’m giving the chance to at least try. I don’t agree with the reasons they are giving me that may cause them to take that chance away from me. So that’s where I currently stand.
P.s. sorry for any typos,I wrote this on my phone and it gave e a hard time. :-/