- 9 years ago
- Wedding: September 2010
I’m a newbie when it comes to meeting with vendors, so I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them, or if anyone has ever done this to a potential client. I’m interested in hearing both sides.
When we met with our vendor we went through the process as usual, asking about experiences, services, pricing etc. The whole meeting felt a bit off, there wasn’t much of a connection. (I want to be able to LOVE my vendors and their work!) The work is good, but we felt that the price didn’t justify the work/amt of services offered, so we bargained a little. I’m not always comfortable bargaining, but Fiance says that vendors overcharge knowing that they would be bargained down a bit.
Immediately after, we decided that we didn’t want to go with this vendor no matter the price quoted, but before we could let her know, she contacted us saying that she could not offer us a quote and would not be able to work with us because our wedding was too far off and that if she lowered her prices to compromise with our budget, then she would be losing money b/c everytime that happened, she usually got a dozen inquiries for the same date from people who were willing to pay more than we did.
I really don’t know if that’s just smart business practice by holding out for a more expensive client or just a plain old rejection. I honestly didn’t know why she couldn’t compromise by saying, I know package x is a bit more expensive, but if you save the album for your one year anniversary, then package x will fit in your budget, blah blah. Or, here’s a list of some of my talented colleagues who are more in your price range. Etc, etc.
To her credit, she did acknowledge that we both had different views of what we wanted/she offered so we wouldn’t have been a right fit for each other anyway. And the main reason we didn’t want to book her was because we didn’t have a good vibe about it. So in the end it worked out, but it just left a bad feeling overall. On my end, I thought it was a good idea to book certain vendors ASAP since they book so fast, but I didn’t know that it would decrease my changes of negotiating for a fair/competitive rate!
Has something like this ever happened to you? Is this…normal? How would you have approached the situation?
By the way, I’m over being a bit annoyed- we have two upcoming vendor mtgs which I’m excited about, but perhaps hearing about other ppls’ experience will help me with my approach for future meetings 🙂