Vent: Our reception has cancelled on us – September 2020

posted 4 months ago in Reception
Post # 2
539 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

I’m sorry this is happening it sucks :/

I just wanted to weigh in and say I think 40minutes will be fine, I’m in WA but I’ve gone to quite a few weddings with a 30-40 minute drive. Most of the drive is spent discussing the ceremony and it goes pretty quick. If you can supply a shuttle bus or organise a car pool though that could make it easier for your guests x

Post # 3
1791 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
pugmummy87 :  

I would back up and rethink the whole set up.  Why are you locked into a particular place for the ceremony?  Try to find a setup that allows for the ceremony and reception to be close together, or better, at the same place.  There are restaurants that will rent out a banquet room where a couple can do the ceremony and the reception in the same space.  If it’s a small crowd, it shouldn’t be hard to make it work.

Post # 5
1237 posts
Bumble bee

Maybe it’s cause I’m from Texas, but a 40 minute drive wouldn’t bother me at all. Good luck! 

Post # 6
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2021

View original reply
pugmummy87 :  If i loved you enough to come to your wedding I wouldn’t even blink at a 40 minute drive! People will understand! I think it will be fine 🙂

Post # 7
505 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
pugmummy87 :  why don’t you ask for the contact info for the new owners? If you show them your contract they might be willing to make the same deal for you, as that’s guaranteed business… Since your wedding is still this year they might not be planning any big changes by then, but could be worth the ask.

Post # 8
1907 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m so sorry OP. My venue cancelled my wedding date about a month ago so I know how it feels. My situation was different in that they had a glitch in their systems that double booked the room so we had to figure something else out.

A forty minute drive is really not bad at all. I wouldn’t rule those options out just because of that! Good luck and I’m sure it will all work out

Post # 9
9087 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Is the 40 min drive to reception venue taking them further from Sydney? And was the original venue drivable back to Sydney? I mean driving an extra 20 mins is not that bad as it doesn’t add to much to the trip. What I would do is check with your VIP’s/those you would miss if they didn’t attend and ask. Because we could all say no big deal but we aren’t your guests. 

View original reply
pugmummy87 :  

Post # 10
51 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

That’s unfortunate. I’ll tell you that as a guest, I wouldn’t drive 40 minutes to the reception, unless I was close with the bride or groom. Fingers crossed that the last one you’re waiting on will have availability. I would try to get the new owner’s contact information from the original restaurant, and get in touch with them and see what they can do.

Post # 11
53 posts
Worker bee

As an Aussie, I certainly think 40min drive is easy enough for me. I’m quite used to driving long distances! Wouldn’t mind it at all so don’t stress, worse case scenario is that some people might just choose to go to either ceremony or reception. 

Post # 12
1063 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

I am an Aussie bee and I don’t think I’ve ever travelled less than 30mins to get to a wedding so 40mins would be nothing. Plus there is less traffic on weekends so not like it’s a peak hour drive. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors