- 10 years ago
- Wedding: May 2011
Alright ladies, this is a total vent post. I’ll start with a little background.
Fiance and I both still live at home (separately) until we are married in May. We live about 20 minutes away from each other, and when we got a puppy, we decided that he would stay at my FI’s house for the time being since my dad is allergic to dogs and he couldn’t stay at mine.
We have a whole apartment upstairs at their house, and while Fiance is at work during the day, FI’s mom watches the dog for us, takes him out, etc (she doesn’t work)… FI’s parents already have a dog, so they are used to this sort of thing. We worked this out because we didn’t want Jetty (our dog) to be in his crate 8 hours a day while Fiance is at work.
Now, our dog is very fragile, even at under one year of age. He has been through hell and back already, so he needs extra attention and care and has to be watched a lot. Read Jetty’s Journey.
Jetty is not supposed to be upstairs alone for a prolonged period of time because he’s pretty michevious, and has already gotten in his fair share of trouble (tearing up the carpet, biting the entire wood baseboards, etc…) He’s a curious pup! So, if FI’s mom needs to go out or can’t keep an eye on him for any period of time, he’s to go in his crate until she gets back.
Apparently, Jetty was alone for a while yesterday, and being the troublemaker that he is (I say that out of love ), he chewed right through FI’s laptop cord, and got shocked/electrocuted. Fiance found the chewed cord when he got home from work, along with Jetty acting weirdly (thankfully not dead, which is what happens 99% of the time). He was eating his food one nugget at time, so we figured he had severly burnt his mouth with the shock.
Fiance brought him to the emergency vet last night and had him checked out. I guess there’s a lot of things that can go wrong with electrical shock, including lungs filling with fluid, heart problems, and even neurological upsets. I was so upset at this point that I told Fiance he better take his mother’s debit card on the way out because I am not paying for something that happened under her watch. We have already spent over $15,000 saving Jetty’s life, and I didn’t feel we should have to pay for her mistake.
Thankfully, it looks like Jetty will be okay. He severly injured his neck (we think that when he bit down and got the shock, he must’ve pulled away so fast that his neck got injured) but we still have to watch for signs of breathing trouble and his lungs filling with fluid for the next 48 hours. They put him on pain meds, and he’s whining with his tail between his legs so I know he’s still hurting… it’s just so upsetting.
I know this may not seem like a big deal to some, but we have been through so much with this dog, and for him to have to go through this unnecessary pain now (after all he’s already been through in his short life) because someone couldn’t keep their eye on him just breaks my heart. FI’s mom knows what to do / what not to do with him, but she’s kind of a spaz and I’m starting to think she doesn’t keep an eye on him as much and leaves him alone for longer periods of time than she’s letting on.
I don’t want to sound ungrateful, because we are indebted to FI’s mom for watching him all the time. She’s been really helpful with us both working. But with a dog like Jetty, these mistakes can’t happen.
I guess I’m just really upset at the whole thing, and I’m not sure what this post was really for other than to get my feelings out. I don’t know what we’re going to do now. Fiance stayed home from work today to watch him, but that obviously can’t happen all the time. I’m going to start working from home in a couple weeks, so I guess I may have to do that at FI’s house every day which is a pain, but someone responsible obviously needs to be there to keep an eye on him, so I guess that’s our only option.
Thanks if you read this far. I’m just an upset fur-momma. I love my baby!