- 5 years ago
- Wedding: July 2013 - UK
I have to get this off my chest guys. Look, I know there are lots of right wing people with arsehole views out there, but there are lots of left wing people with arsehole views as well. the difference is that I just avoid the right wing people. It’s harder to avoid the hard left… they include many of my friends, the people that I work with, and my relatives. I would love to say a bunch of stuff to them, but I never have the balls IRL, and I hate fights. So, without naming names, I’m going to let it all out here.
– No, the police did not stop and search you because of your political beliefs. They stopped and searched you because you were wearing a T shirt depicting Bob Marley smoking a joint, and you stank of cannabis from that joint you were smoking 10 seconds previously.
– No, the purpose of CCTV is for crime prevention, not so that the government can invade your privacy (and then, presumably, ship you off to the “Ministry of Love” for “thought crime”).
– Yes, the moon landings were real. Yes, I know about the flag which is moving even though there is no wind. No, because if you look at the original footage, Armstrong arranges it deliberately so that it looks as if it is fluttering. No, I don’t think that’s faked.
– No, September the 11th was not orchestrated by Bush in order to find an excuse to start a war and distract people from the political mess he was making.
– No, there is not a worldwide Christian conspiracy… yes, I have read… no, that’s a book by Dan Brown. That isn’t real.
– No, the Pope is not the antichrist/whatever hate figure you want to compare him to today. He’s just an old guy who wears a silly hat. No, I’m telling you again… conspiracy theories aren’t real.
– No, women who wear hijab are not labouring under a false consciousness… yes, I have read Marx… no, that’s not what that actually means… yes, I have actually… well, actually, I think you’ll find that the real difference between you and I is that I don’t get all of my facts from Wikipedia, thanks.
– No, the purpose of the army is not to bayonet babies in the name of oil. If you actually look at the amount of peacekeeping work done by the British Army in the last 50 years, you will see that the majority of deployments were in peacekeeping roles. No, I don’t think we should abolish the army. No, soldiers do respect themselves. No, they aren’t all borderline psychopaths who enjoy mass torture. No, I don’t have to say that because of the “brainwashing” I underwent when I used to work for the army.
– No, I don’t believe that we should abolish the monarchy and have an elected head of state…. well, have you seen the last set of political leaders we voted for? My point exactly.
– No, MI5 is not following you because you attended that “Freedom for Palestine” rally. Why? Because you are just not important enough. You have an absolutely grandiose sense of self-importance, and that’s why you think that people care enough about you to follow you. In reality, even if you do get arrested at a protest, the guys who take you in are more concerned about whether or not this will affect their overtime, and whether they can stop on the way back to the police station for fish and chips.
– No, things would not be better if we abolished the government, the army, and the police, and lived on an anarchist commune. Why don’t you look at some of the countries overseas and see how they did without any or all of those things. Doesn’t look so great now, does it?
– NO, charity work is not about imposing white, colonialist hegemony on black bodies. No, just “leaving people to it” is just a way of saying “we don’t really give a ****, so we’re looking for an excuse not to care”. No, despite being white, I do think that I can relate to the people I work with. Why? Because when God gave me white skin, he didn’t completely remove my moral compass with it.
………. AH……….. feels so much better. The irony is, of course, that I would consider myself a socialist. I spend a lot of time campaigning for left wing causes. I’m just sick of the knee jerk reactionsim of the far left. I have to deal with it all the time and IT DRIVES ME FREAKING CRAZY!!!! At least I can just stay away from the far right… I actually have to engage with these people…