(Closed) Vent:: Why, when you add the word “Wedding”, does the price jump 500%?!

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
743 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Well, first of all, I would NOT sign a contract until you have a price agreed upon.  And then I would go to the venue and be honest with them.  Tell them you love the place but your budget is $XX….ask them if there any way they can work with that…good luck! 

Post # 3
5657 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2012

Definitely don’t sign a contract until you’ve agreed on the price for everything!

Post # 4
4336 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

wow. that would make me sooo angry. and is borderline sketchy! There must be something that you can do, like talk to the person who gave you prices originally!

Post # 5
2701 posts
Sugar bee

Please for the love of God don’t sign that contract. Any business that is not upfront with pricing is not getting any of my money.

Post # 7
3461 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I get bugged by this too, particularly when I asked one place three times for banquet menus for an event there and she kept asking back if it was for a wedding.  If there is an upcharge, they should be willing to defend it and have a reasonable explanation.  If no upcharge, send me those menus already! 

Some fees, no one tells you about unless you ask.  For example, turns out coffee post dinner is about $2.50 a person.  It feels like gouging at the end, but now I know to ask about that and include it in my budget.  On the other hand, a restroom fee is utterly ridiculous.  Wouldn’t it be against code for them NOT to permit a patron to use the restroom, particularly when you are at the venue 4-5 hours?  I would think that would be improper.  I’d argue to them that since it’s impossible to rent without using the restrooms, then it ought to have been included in the initial price quoted to you – it’s not like coffee service that you can take or leave.  To be honest, I’d be inclined to ask someone in your state’s consumer affairs (or whatever the appropriate division is) if this is actually legal, because now I’m super curious.

Post # 10
3461 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

hmm, well it makes a little more sense (I do think 2 is a bit low), but it’s still something they should have told you about sooner (or included in the room charges).  It’s only $100, but I still would fight that particular one if you can, based on the same reasoning above, for simply the principle of it if nothing else.  Then again…it depends how willing you are to walk if they don’t fix these extra charges.

Post # 11
2792 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Restroom fee!?!?!

Just tell them you’ll pee on the floor.

Post # 13
2247 posts
Buzzing bee

I have often asked this same question, myself.  When I have visited the websites of many different venues, I’ve noticed quite large gaps in pricing between regular events and weddings.  It’s like people know that you want the best wedding day possible, so they’re going to charge you out the ass for it. 

Several venues have tables and chairs, yet they want you to pay for them PLUS the venue fee!  It is absolutely absurd!  I’m not paying $1000 to use a room for four hours AND paying $10 per table, $3 per chair!  That makes no sense. 

I noticed for many venues there are separate tabs for corporate events and weddings.  When you click on corporate events, the price might be something like $600 to rent the room.  When you click on weddings, the same room is $1200!  WTF?!? 

Same goes for bakers.  The lady I’m getting my cake from is really cheap.  But, she charges $1.25 per serving of a tiered non-wedding cake.  If you tell her your cake is for a wedding, she charges $2.75 per serving (for the same kind of cake).  What warrants a 1.50 price hike??  I’m just going to tell her to make me four dozen cupcakes and one small cake.  I’m not going to tell her I want a cupcake tower with anniversary tier because I’m sure it would be double the price.

Post # 15
772 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

for venue it typically is more because there are more hours of set up for a wedding–but def confirm that that is the case and they don’t charge you on top of that.

The topic ‘Vent:: Why, when you add the word “Wedding”, does the price jump 500%?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors