- 7 years ago
- Wedding: August 2011
I have 6 months to go until my wedding date. I am having a church wedding and then holding the reception in a country club. The problem? I hate the venue! I’m worried that since its a summer wedding, I can’t do anything to dress up the room because it has windows and I cant use lights since the sun sets later. I need to get some pictures so you guys have a better idea but it has red chairs which i’m going to have to cover, green and red carpet, and striped green curtains that frankly are really ugly. I can’t imagine you can tell a venue hey, can take down the window treatments? I haven’t picked a color palatte yet, although I know that I want some form of purple. It’s the only venue I’ve seen that has colors instead of neutral tones that are decorate in itself.
Also, the venue is on the large side. I had called around to a bunch of places and I couldn’t find a saturday venue that would take less than 150 guests. I don’t have close to 150 people that i’m inviting and I’m sure theres a fair number that RSVP no. I’m inviting people I haven’t seen this year and I think that I’d much rather have a small wedding. I have a certain amount that I have to spend at the venue so cutting my list isn’t going to save me money. In that case, since I already have a full bar, I’d have to add a late night snack and other randoms to bring up the cost to the minimum.
My parents are paying for the wedding. My mom called and said if you don’t like this place, tough luck because we are tired of looking around. Now i’m feeling bullied into a wedding that I don’t really want. My Fiance and I had an area that we wanted to get married because it was where we met and we didn’t get to even go to any venues there because she didn’t like the websites or the food offerings. (On a side note, I also am not a fan of my wedding dress but it was the only dress that my mom liked. When I wanted to try on others she was impatient and told me I already knew that this was the dress).
I have to get a copy of the contract from my mom to see what it costs to cancel, i’m assuming since she has already made payments, they would lose more than a deposit (which would not be an option for my mom). I’m wondering if I approach them on the subject and try to get the small wedding that I want? Or is it too late and I should just go with it?