(Closed) VENUE/CATERING HUNT- 120p , $15k, Philly or Maryland

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
4037 posts
Honey bee

Try Delaware. My daughter married there and chose all her vendors from there, except for gowns/tuxedos. She saved thousands, because there’s no sales tax in DE. In PA it’s 6%; in Phila. it’s 8% and a 10% tax on alcohol.

Sorry, but I can’t recommend a specific venue, but it would be halfway between Baltimore and Phila. We found it much quicker to go down Route 95 into DE, than to use the Schulkyll (sp?) Expressway, to get into center city.

Post # 4
585 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

Ah I’m getting married in Power Plant Productions! Our anticipated guest list is 120ish and our food/alcohol is around $15k. Power Plant lets you bring any caterer and outside alcohol, which is great. If you have any questions about the venue, let me know!

We’re having a vegan caterer, so I don’t have many suggestions about affordable caterers. But we did mainly look into venues that allowed any outside caterer, which allows you to shop around. I’ve listed some below.

We’re using Swig Events for bartending: two bartenders for seven hours (set up, wedding, clean up) is $560 and we’re buying our own alcohol. They provide you with a list of exactly what you need to buy, and will help with the buying/storing.

Are you considering outdoor venues? Or what time of year? Here’s what I’ve got from my spreadsheet:

• Awburry Arboretum, seats up to 200 outside (must rent a tent). $1500 rental fee. Some tables and chairs included, can bring any caterer.
  • Bala Cynwyd Women’s Club, seats up to 160 indoors with an outdoor area for ceremony. $3100 rental fee, can bring any caterer.
  • Ridgeland Mansion in Fairmount Park, $1500 venue fee, can sit 110 indoors and up to 500 outdoors (tent needed). Can bring any caterer. Venue fee is charitable donation and tax deductible.
  • German Society, sits 150 indoors, $2900 rental, comes with tables and chairs, any caterer.
  • Fleisher Art Memorial sits, 120 indoors, $2000 rental (but have to also rent dance floor and sound system?), has a list of preferred caterers.
  • Cliveden, seats a lot outdoors or 150 indoors, $1500 rental fee, preferred caterer list.
  • JAM Catering: I looked at two venues (American Swedish Historical Museum and The Racquetclub of Philadelphia). Rental fee is $3000ish for peak season and their packages start at $127 per person for all food (plated dinner), service, alcohol, rentals, and cake. They give significant off-season discounts. In Jan-April, July, & Nov-Dec, their venues are half off and the packages are 20% off. They also have some venues in the Philly area, outside the city.

Good luck with the search! If you have any Philly wedding questions, hit me up!

Edit: I’m pretty sure all the venues that allow any caterer allow BYO alcohol, as long as you hire insured bartenders. It’s a huge saver. We’ll probably buy our alcohol in DE to save money.

Post # 6
585 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

View original reply
sabowen2g :  We’re doing sit down dinner, though we were looking into cocktail style too. We knew we wanted to stick with a Philly-proper venue, and so many are so small! 

I know what you mean about the stair situation at Power Plant. We don’t have any guests in wheelchairs, but we have a few older ones who might find the stairs daunting. I did check and the bathrooms are on the same level as the event space–once the guests are up, they don’t have to go down until the end of the night. But that doesn’t solve the fact that there’s no elevator for easier entry :\

And I don’t remember if either of the bathrooms are fitted for accessibility. 

The topic ‘VENUE/CATERING HUNT- 120p , $15k, Philly or Maryland’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors