- 8 years ago
- Wedding: July 2011
Has anyone used VerTerra plates for their reception? I came across these tonight online, and my interest has been piqued. They are made from palm leaves and are similar-in-look to bamboo plates.
What I like:
1. They can be composted
2. They biodegrade in 60 days and can be composted (the laminate on bamboo prevents composting)
3. They are a fair trade company
4. They hold up to microwave, oven, liquid
5. They are super-cheap in bulk (like a third of bamboo)
What I don’t like:
1. The grain isn’t consistent
2. Not crazy about the bleached out color (but I am checking to see if they can be lightly stained with fruit juice)
I just can’t bring myself to use plastic plates since we are having up to 200 people at the wedding, but we would be paying around $500+ if we bought stoneware from a dollar store (mugs, 3 sizes of plates, silverware). Even renting tableware would be $500+.
Has anyone used these? How would you rate them?