Post # 1
Today I had the unfortunate experience of biting into an undercooked chicken potsticker. I thought I was only reheating previously cooked food, but once I began eating and suspected otherwise, a look on the package confirmed that they were not already cooked.
Besides being disgusted by it, I know I put myself at risk for food poisoning. From what I understand, chicken, especially ground, is likely to carry nasty things such as Salmonella or Campylobacter. I only swallowed one bite, and Fiance is convinced I am over-reacting. I, on the other hand, am a nervous wreck because I know the symptoms can take a day or two to arrive.
It’s been 12 hours so far and nothing yet but this waiting period will be tough!
Has anyone else had a similar experience or know if there’s anything I should do to prepare?
Post # 3
@Snapdragon2804: I think you are prbably safe, but I would suggest making sure you have a lot of fluids 🙂
Post # 5
@Snapdragon2804: I have soooo been there and it’s the worst…. you’ll almost definitely be okay. Drink lots of water, take some pepto bismol if you want… it CAN help a bit.
Try to not freak out too much.
Post # 6
You’re probably safe, if you ingest only a small amount of salmonella your stomach acid usually kills it, wishing you luck though!
Post # 7
From my experience, my food poisioning came within 2 hours all 4 times. It is the WORST! Hope you dont get poisoning!!
Post # 8
Food poisoning usually pops up quicker than 12 hours, so I think you’re safe! I agree with PPs though, drink tons of water to flush anything out that may still be in your system.
Post # 10
Thanks for the responses. I’m surprised at how many of you have had to go through it before. Fiance got it on one of our first vacations together and I know how awful it can be.
I think I’m in the clear but I’m going to be extra extra careful from now on.
Post # 11
Hope all turns out well! DH had campylobacter two years ago… It took about 24-48 hours for the full symptoms to come blazing out. The doctor had us trying to figure out what we ate in the last few days prior to him getting super sick.
Post # 12
Food poisoning is the worst!! I hope you are ok and past the point of worrying about it. I would be paranoid about eating that, too. Definitely keep yourself hydrated and well-rested ~ maybe drink some gingerale to settle your stomach. I think the biggest thing is to try to not think about it, as worrying can make you feel worse. GL!