(Closed) Wanting baby to come early…VENT

posted 7 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 17
Member
9129 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@ashleyr0512:  My poor mom was miserable during her last pregnancy but she was 40 and didn’t whine about it on FB. Her doctor took pity on her when she came in for her due date appointment and stripped her membranes.

Post # 18
Member
1722 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1998

My immediate reaction to posts like this is, “Wow, if only one had a choice in the matter to get pregnant or not (if you fail to use birth control correctly, fail to use two reliable methods each time, etc., it shouldn’t come as a surprise if you’re in the “Going to get Pregnant” camp).”

Look, I get it’s not a cake walk. I’ll tolerate some griping and complaining – after all, you are carrying a bellyful of baby around. But it grates on your nerves, especially when it’s in the have-to-complain-multiple-times a day camp. I get sick of seeing it once or even a few times a week. It comes off as an attention-grabbing ploy and a pity fest. I have a sister-in-law pulling all of that right now. You’d almost get the impression she doesn’t want a baby.

A person should not try to induce labor themselves. And castor oil? I hope she was near a toilet the whole time. A small percentage of women probably will go into labor using these remedies, but no greater an amount than those who go into labor by mere chance. In the meantime, they’re just causing themselves lots of unnecessary discomfort…and for what?

Post # 19
Member
289 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

View original reply
@MrsAKSkier:  +1

I couldn’t agree more. I think oversharing is the culprit and some people just LOVE to share every thought they have or want people to think they have.

Post # 20
Member
4521 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Never been pregnant, but I agree. Misery I totally understand, but trying to evict a baby at preemie stage is just irresponsible. My friend’s daughter waas born by emergency c/s at 31 weeks and she was lucky to be on oxygen only briefly and have no developmental delays other than physical growth. Do these people want a sick baby? I don’t know about 32 weeks, but at 30 weeks, there’s a 90% chance of survival. That means there’s a 10% chance of every parent’s worst nightmare. Who would risk that unless it were absolutely necessary? My friend was terrified for her baby, but she would likely have died without medical intervention. Thank God both of them are fine today!

Post # 21
Member
2810 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I have such a hard time relating to the “wanting baby out NOW” phase.

When I was pregnant, I had hydronephrosis from week 24-birth. It was excruciatingly painful. (my uterus was blocking my right kidey, requiring 3 different stent surgeries, which also caused stones).

Never ONCE did I wish I could give birth earlier. I actually fought with my OB who wanted me to deliver early. I gladly went through all the pain to keep my baby in there until she was healthy and mature enough to be born.

Maybe I’m judgemental, but I find it SO selfish to be actively trying to cause yourself premature labour…especially at 32 weeks. It’s just terrifying.

I get how exhausting pregnancy can be, but that’s what we sign up for. It’s only a temporary discomfort.

Post # 22
Member
257 posts
Helper bee

I have never been pregnant so I can’t relate to her, BUT I am under the impression that the baby should stay in as long as possible?! I thought the idea was that the longer the baby can grow and develop in the womb, the healthier it will be. So, she’s wishing to diminish her baby’s chance of healthiness for her own comfort? :/ Yikes.

Post # 24
Member
1188 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

It’s annoying to me because I’ve had a pretty awful pregnancy (migraines nearly every day that meds dn’t help, cancer diagnosis, surgery, and then the normal pregnancy stuff) and am 38 weeks as of yesterday.  I would never try any of those old wives’ tales (and honestly, things like castor oil seem dangerous to me).  I’d rather be in pain a few extra weeks and have a chubby, healthy baby than go into labor early and risk that the didn’t have enough time to fully develop.  Not to mention, I’ve never met a woman who had a preemie who was “happy” about it.

Post # 25
Member
1188 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

View original reply
@ashleyr0512:  Honestly, she sounds like a trainwreck and very self-centered in all facets of her life.  I hope her husband is a good parent, otherwise that’s a bad situation for those children.

Post # 26
Member
6888 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Well I went early and I would never ever want anyone to go through that hell of having to have a baby in NCIU. We were lucky, since we saw much smaller and weaker babies in there the same time our little guy was.  That woman is being very selfish…

Post # 26
Member
1279 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I know this is an old thread but I have to revive it because now 37 weeks is no longer full term and people are driving me batty with this! Listen I get it, pregnancy is not easy, I am ready to be done too but being done is not 37 weeks. It’s horrid for someone to grab their breast pump of castor oil or anything that truly could induce labor early naturally because yeah the technique might be natural but the labor happening is not. I think inductions are sometimes the best thing and many women who are older like myself do not go into labor on there own easily or face potential placental problems. I just think people should wait until 39 weeks to start calling themselves full term and breaking out all the stops. give your body and your baby a better chance. Some babies naturally come early and that’s great that they often do well and many wont have any problems but why would anyone risk that even if its a small risk over a couple more weeks of being pregnant. It’s a sign of our times, our complete lack of patience with birth. We never want to wait for anything. Many get annoyed at me for being a stickler for these things but its very irresponsible to go around continuing to call 37 weeks full term when baby still might have a lot of growing to do. Even if you personally would never do anything to self induce it sends a baD messAge. I’m 35 weeks and I can’t wait to meet my baby either but I know NST best if I do and that’s not going to change that much in two weeks. Glad to see I’m not alone in this thinking. I also don’t think it’s a sacrifice but a huge gift to be this pregnant and have a healthu pregnancy. Even with all the heartburn and discomfort. 

Post # 27
Member
2121 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - DD born 2015 DS born 2017

View original reply
Audreysdance:  I’m only 12 weeks so I can’t imagine how uncomfortable I’m going to get by the end, but imo it is absolutely irresponsible to not want to give your child the best start in life. And that means letting your baby grow to full term in its own time (assuming no medical problems). Even an extra week in utero could mean the difference between a sickly baby and a healthy baby, and I’ll give anything for my baby to be born healthy and strong.

You’re right, we live in an age of impatience, but growing a human child is not like hurrying a product order and sending it back if it’s faulty.

Post # 28
Member
953 posts
Busy bee

Meh, with my first I was on bed rest due to premature labour since 20 weeks. I held him in until 32w 4d.  He was ok thank god. I wasn’t ready for him to come. I wanted him to cook longer and was scared for him.

#2 was 8 days late. I was really just over the heart burn and his movement. He was an acrobat but I was so happy I was having a healthy pregnancy.

#3 was 39 weeks. I was fine being pregnant.

#4 (yes I had 4 but within 12 years not back to back) I was on bed rest again due to pre-e at 30w.  Ya at 37 weeks I was totally done being pregnant..I went to the doctors and taped an eviction Notice to my stomache. He swept my membranes ( He tried the week before as well.) The plan wasn’t to get me to full term (37 then) as I was swollen and my blood pressure was super high and the protein in my urine was terrible and we just wanted to get as close to term as possible without it getting to eclampsia. It worked. 37 weeks and I was done.

I think it’s worse on bed rest.  You literally lay there waiting to give birth.  With the pregnancies that I didn’t have bed rest I wasn’t that bothered, sure I wanted the heart burn gone and I was sick of looking like an over weight gorilla and i didnt enjoy the time I totally urinated all over myself in the mall when my son turned all ninja on my bladder but whatever I was having a healthy pregnancy, I was able to walk around and go to the mall, bring my children to the park and live like a normal person. (Only more like a weeble)

Being pregnant doesn’t last forever. It is literally the most important job we have. Making this new human.  It’s beautiful and wonderful.  Once that baby is out you also can’t put it back in unfortunately. 

 

Post # 29
Member
1782 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Even if I become highly uncomfortable, I do not feel comfortable trying to self induce labor. The baby will come when it’s ready. I believe only in inductions if there is a medical necessity for the health of the mother or baby. 

Post # 30
Member
1782 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Just for fun: my hubby was born at 44 weekS, yes a month late. 🙂

The topic ‘Wanting baby to come early…VENT’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors