(Closed) Was working for a lady… Who decided not to pay me?

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

You can file a claim in small claims court but I’m not sure if it would be worth it.  Did you have a contract with her or something saying what you were doing and what you were to be paid?

Post # 4
1641 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I would let her know in as calm a way as possible, that you will blackball her online if she doesn’t pay you.

It is far too easy today to leave negative reports online for all to see. Nobody that owns a business should be stealing from customers or employees, and that is what she has done. She stole from you.

Post # 7
1810 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

This is a somewhat dishonest way to go about it, but could you tell her that you’ve changed your mind and would like to continue working with her… and then once you have deposited your check, cut off contact?

I don’t think she deserves common courtesy since she’s not giving you any.

Post # 8
1641 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I would definitely tell her, but in a non-threatening way. Just let her know that in today’s world, it is very easy to get out the word about dishonesty in business. Definitely keep your cool and don’t make it sound like blackmail.

Also, i’d call the Better Business Bureau- and let her know you are doing so.

Post # 9
600 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I had that happen to me. Did about five months of design work for a client who owned me about 5k.

Never got a cent.

I currently in the processes of trying to have him served for court. *deep sigh*

Post # 10
2385 posts
Buzzing bee

@cbee: an email does constitute a contract. just fyi.

Post # 13
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I would go to her office (or write a letter if you absolutely can’t get ahold of her) and mention that you have the written exchanges (emails) regarding your agreement on payment and employment, and if you do not hear from her by ‘x’ date, you will be seeking further legal action.

I wouldn’t do the internet blackball threat yet, not until you maybe speak with an attorney or decide whether or not to take her to small claims.If you find it’s not worth it to drag her in, then I’d talk with her once more stating that you’re not appreciative of her treatment of the situation and you will not be recommending her business and making it known to your friends and family the way she treats her employees. 

Post # 15
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

What state are you in? In CA, we have the dept of fair employment and housing, and you can file a complaint with them. Also in CA, if you are not given a check in a timely manner, your employer can be forced to pay you your regular salary for the days in which they held your check. Not sure if that’s true in all states.

Look into your state’s resources – a letter from them will light a fire under her! Print out your emails to give to the state agency you file a complaint with as proof. Don’t go, yet, to small claims court/BBB. Those are for customers to file complaints. For employees, you need to go to your state agency.

Good luck!

Post # 16
299 posts
Helper bee

If all else fails… this won’t help you get any money, but it will punish her a bit.  Since she has essentially stolen from you if she keeps the check, you can file a 1099 with the IRS, declaring that she did not pay taxes on the income she got (by stealing from you).  This should send the IRS after her, which is a punishment.  At the very least, it’ll knock her with some unexpected income taxes.

The topic ‘Was working for a lady… Who decided not to pay me?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors