(Closed) Wax seal for 360 envelopes….oh, crap.

posted 7 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
5110 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2011

I dont have experience in this, but you can do it!!! Just like you said put aside some time each day, it will get done faster than you think. Do it while you watch tv etc. Just keep swimming!!

Post # 5
788 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

We did 100 wax seals in about an hour. Our trick was for both of us to do it! We lined all our envelopes up side by side (in increments of like 10) He lit the candle and would go down the line one by one dripping the wax. I followed behind with the metal thing, counted to 5, then stamped.

Some tips:

Make sure you drip a good amount of wax to get a good thick seal. 

Wait 5-6 seconds after dripping before you stamp it. Play around with this until you find the right amount of time.

I put a dot with a pen in the spot I wanted the wax to make sure it was centered.

Good luck!

Post # 6
227 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I’m assembling our invitations currently which includes stamping and embossing the inside, putting on postage and then a seal.  My drug of choice to help me through this is Law and Order SVU and X-files.  Take with one glass of seltzer and one glass of wine and repeat.

Good luck!

Post # 9
7174 posts
Busy Beekeeper

We did about 100 in not too long of a time.  Keep in mind the Post Office will likely charge you more for a wax seal being on the envelope (if you didn’t know).

Also – I’d suggest creating a template of a blank piece of paper with a circle cut out – we used the candle/wax/drip method and sometimes the wax would get to hot and drip on the paper in a spot we didn’t want it.  Having a blank piece of paper as an extra barrier helped speed up the process.

Darling Husband did all the dripping/stamping and ended up getting a cramp in his fingers/hand from where he pressed down on the seal…. maybe take turns doing it or spread it out over a couple days.

Post # 10
3758 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@oracle: The post office didn’t charge me more for wax seals, is it different in different places?

You can definitely do it! I found once I got a couple done and knew what I was doing it went by pretty fast. I just put on one of my favorite movies to help me not get bored out of my mind lol.

Post # 11
3482 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

@cyndistar3: There’s usually an extra charge for anything that needs to be hand-cancelled. This includes square envelopes and envelopes with wax seals or any other non-standard feature that can’t go through their machines.

Post # 12
788 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

It depends on how thick the seal is. Ours was thick enought to look good but not thick enough that it had any trouble going through the machine

Post # 13
1941 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Just break it up! Don’t think about the fact that there are 360. “Let’s do 100 this week, 20 a day” Chances are, when you’re done with 20, you’ll just keep going and bang out 100 in an hour or so!

Just put on good music/tv/movies to keep your mind off the task at hand πŸ˜€

Post # 14
1145 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I used glue gun wax for my seals it was easy and not messy. I placed my stampper in a ice bath, while I put the glue on. Then blotted the stamp on a napkin and placed it on the envelope wax. I started leaving a droplet of water on the stampper becuase it helped remove it faster. Took me 1/2 hour for 50 doing it by myself. Its pretty fun.

The topic ‘Wax seal for 360 envelopes….oh, crap.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors