- 8 years ago
- Wedding: May 2013
We lost our ten year old jack russell mix Mildred, also known as Millie and my favorite, Mimi the favorite. Last week we found a mass in her abdomen. She needed an emergency splenectomy. it was going to be either hemangioma or the dreaded, aggressive hemangiosarcoma. you can guess which one it turned out to be. Fiance has had Mimi for ten years, he brought her home after a friend asked around if anyone would be willing to take this puppy that he found stuck in a fence after a tornado. she was tiny and all white and the size of a kitten. his mom was not pleased and demanded that he take care of her in every respect, that he take her with him everywhere he goes or pay his little brother 50 cents an hour to babysit her. Mimi was devoted to Fiance in every possible way, she never even needed a leash on walks. When Fiance went into the army he left Mimi at his parents. She was devastated at his absence but upon his return was beyond elated. She moved with him to Fort Riley in Kansas and then back to indiana with his wife when he was deployed to Iraq. They couldn’t mention his name because she would pace around the house in search of him. After his divorce he went downhill and spent a great deal of time alone at home with his pups. I was only lucky enough to have her in my life for 2 years.
I would have done anything to shield him from this experience and loss.
she came home after surgery and was up and walking and doing well. the next day she started acting lethargic and wouldn’t stand on her own and kept turning her head to the side. so tim and kev took her back to the vet who did the surgery. her blood pressure kept bottoming out, she was in shock. the vet said she had had some sort of neurological event, a stroke. They pushed fluids and tried different things to get her stable enough to take her to a 24 hour emergency vet a few minutes away. that took about two hours. their was a window to the back where she was so we saw everything as it happened. awful.
they got her stable enough for transport so we took her to the vet er. she was completely limp and her eyes were fixed and dilated, still in shock. they took her back immediately and put her on oxygen and an iv in. we waited for about 30-40 minutes before they came in to talk to us. they ran all kinds of test and did ultrasounds. her abdomen was full of fluid, not blood. she wasn’t bleeding internally from the surgery, she did not have any infection in her system at all. they did more tests.
they came back in a second time. vet said that the spleen is a blood organ, and when you remove a blood organ the body will sometimes freak out. her heart had stopped twice and she quit breathing so they intebated her, she was on life support. more tests showed blood clots throughout her body, they were everywhere. her intestines had shut down. the only option at that point was to open her back up and resect the part of her intestines that had the clot, and there were many. the vet said there was only a slim chance she would survive a second surgery because of what she had already gone through.
vet said there were many bad things stacking up against us but it was up to us and he would try the surgery if that is what we wanted. said if it were just the clots and intestinal shut down he would say absolutely go for it and she would have a fair chance. not good, but fair. but the cause of the clots was most likely the tumor that was removed being a very aggressive malignant sort. the cancer was fighting back.
we had a decision to make. the pathology from the tumor removed wouldn’t be back until next week so there was no conclusive way to know if it was hemangiosarcoma, the malignant kind. with this kind of cancer, 100% of the time it comes back. if she did somehow survive being opened back up and having parts of her intestines removed, she would most definitely die within a few weeks, months at the most. but be in a great deal of pain and never go back to herself. the other thing is that because of the clots and the way she was acting she had certainly had a stroke and if she survived the other surgery would more than likely be brain dead.
I said we want to do everything we can for her to the point of not causing her any unnecessary pain. i asked the vet what he suggested doing, what the best case scenario would be if we did the second surgery, and there really wasn’t one. he said this looked like the end of the road for her.
we went back to see her and it was truly one of the most horrific sights i’ve ever seen. she wasn’t there anymore. she had this tube down her throat and tied around the back of her neck. the heart monitor was all over the place, 160bpm jumping to 240bpm. she kept seizing and convulsing but was not awake or aware of anything. i knew as soon as we saw her that we had to let her go. it was extremely difficult to convince Kev of this but he knew it too. we stayed with her for a bit and talked to her and held on to her and sobbed. they took the tube out and it looked like she had a moment of lucidness and saw Kev. Then we let her go to sleep.
i don’t know what to do with myself. i’m numb. we’ve been sobbing and holding each other. i slept all day while he went to band practice. i feel helpless and lost.