(Closed) We have $6,000!!!!!

posted 9 years ago in Money
  • poll: Do you have a savings plan for your wedding budget?
    Yes : (33 votes)
    52 %
    No : (22 votes)
    35 %
    Kinda...I'll explain below. : (8 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 3
    2470 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

we don’t have a savings plan for the wedding but we have a newlywed fund which I like to watch grow!

Post # 4
    46 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2010

Good for you! Off to a great start!

Our parents’ contributions will pay everything for our reception apart from the band: drinks reception, 3 course-served meal, coffee/mints for 100. Future Mother-In-Law is also taking care of the cake for us. Everything else (clothing, all things paper, reception band, ceremony musicians, rings, flowers, and a Sunday brunch for out of towners) will run about that same amount and that’s what we’ll be taking care of. So, I suppose you could say we’re splitting the wedding with our parents. Mr Farmerfen & I are trying hard to be creative and do things ourselves to make our money streeeetch (we’re PhD students and don’t have much extra, but we’re taking on extra teaching, little jobs, extra shifts in library, etc.) Giving our peeps good food and a good party are our priorities and thankfully our parents are taking care of that for us!

Note: we’ll be providing wine with dinner but then a cash bar. And in our half notice that photography & honeymoon are not included…somehow these things will get taken care of. I’m hopeful πŸ™‚

I think it’s all the incedentals that will be the surprise to the ol’ budget. Picture frames to hold wedding shots of our grandparents, for near the guest book. Initials charms for bridesmaids bouquets. A cute little bridal clutch. These sorts of things…

Keep at it! I find it a great feeling, knowing this big event won’t be putting us into debt as we start our married lives! And besides, I love rice and beans πŸ™‚

Post # 5
    990 posts
    Busy bee

We’ve gotten a joint account and put about 10% of our paychecks in every pay … it’s not much but I’m sure it will add up. It’s funny, because even though we’re not engaged, that’s the express reason we set up this account … and we save all of our change from when we pay in cash – it’s like getting $60-80 extra a month to put in the savings!

Post # 6
    453 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

Absolutely! Being encores and paying for this ourselves-we have a little over $5K in our wedding savings account with us being 3 weeks out. I’ve been paying for things bit by bit as time has gone by and have not had to touch our wedding savings! We’re both totally thrilled about that! EVERYTHING (there I go in all caps to emphasize! LOL!) is included except for my e-ring. We’ve just stuck to the things that are really important, but made some hard decisions on other things-not that they weren’t important, but they weren’t as important as spending the money (ie: a very inexpensive flower that I love that I didn’t know was pretty cheap until the florist told me-lots of flowers for very little money & using Publix for our full sheet wedding cake-a raspberry and cream cheese icing fantasy called Raspberry Elegance!)

Post # 7
    383 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

We didn’t start a fund, though, I wish I would’ve. Since my Darling Husband and I lived together prior to being married all of our expenses were already one. We were doing fine just living off his salary and not having to use mine (I have a full-time salaried job we just didn’t need to dip into it for bills/etc. because we are good with our money). Since he was paying for our living all of the money we spent towards our wedding came out of my savings. The only thing he paid for was our rings (which wasn’t budgeted in our wedding costs), but they are being financed anyway so now we are married and our money is combined I am still technically paying for that as well πŸ™‚

We ended up spending $7,500 of our (my) own money for our wedding (ended up about 30% – this does not include our honeymoon or rings). So, I wish I had started saving pennies a little bit once we became engaged but our spending didn’t really change. It just seemed like a lot since it was all within a 3 month span that I spent that money.

But good for you! You will be happy come your wedding knowing you specifically put money aside for your wedding!

Post # 8
    5 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2009

We had a budget and saved but life happens and I had an injury and then suregery I get married on 10/25/2009 and if could do it over I would have took care of us first then everyone that we decided to help due to their financial situation as we are getting married out of state. I think everyone needs an emerceny fund for sure.

Post # 9
    2476 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

Yup we have a wedding fund too.  We’ve been engaged since December 2008 so we’ll have had a longish engagement by the time we tie the knot.  It’s been really nice because we’ve been able to save about $500/month to go towards our wedding and it’s really added up!  Also, we have been able to pay many of our vendors along the way, so it’s not a huge blow on our wallets.  It’s really worked out well!  πŸ™‚

Post # 10
    5154 posts
    Bee Keeper

No wedding fund here but a great savings plan/newlywed fund πŸ™‚

Post # 11
    599 posts
    Busy bee

We have a savings plan in place. We are putting a way a set amount each month. We also decided that the amount we put away each month should grow the closer we get to the date. Also our parents are helping out a little. We are definitely on our way to having a great wedding fund!

Post # 13
    374 posts
    Helper bee

No wedding fund here- but I’ve been trying to put money away to pay for the unforseen expenses!

Post # 14
    255 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

Bargh, not yet. We’ve talked a budget with both our parents (they’ll help us out the best they can, though no real figures have been thrown out). My Fiance and I only just got engaged at the beginning of this month, and so things are still in the early stages of an Oct 2010 wedding. We’ve worked out that we’ll probably be spending $16K but we have yet to start actually putting money away for the wedding… 

Post # 15
    2767 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

we had a budget of 12,000 to start with.  But things got out of control and now were probably spending closer to 20,000.  We have consistently been saving money every paycheck though, if that’s what you are asking.

Post # 16
    1135 posts
    Bumble bee

Taking in to account what is in the wedding savings account and what we’ve already spent on deposits and craft supplies, we are a little under halfway there. Add in the moneys our parents have agreed to give us, and we will be over 2/3 there. So, I think we are more than prepared.

But our “plan” is really just taking any extra money we get and putting it into the wedding account. That includes tax returns, odd jobs, money gifts from now until the wedding date, and any raises. If you would consider it “bonus money”, then it’s going in the wedding account.

The other question is… Is your spending on budget too?

The topic ‘We have $6,000!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors