(Closed) We have $6,000!!!!!

posted 10 years ago in Money
  • poll: Do you have a savings plan for your wedding budget?
    Yes : (33 votes)
    52 %
    No : (22 votes)
    35 %
    Kinda...I'll explain below. : (8 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 17
    4479 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

That’s great! We had promised contributions from each of our parents, and we’re just putting aside every penny we can for incidentals (already reached our own target over the summer). It was really important since we have so much school debt between us not to incur anymore for the wedding. 🙂

Post # 19
    86 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2019

We have a savings plan since we are on our own for finances.  It is amazing how quickly money can add up when there is a wedding to motivate you!  The goal is $20,000 by June. 

Post # 20
    2408 posts
    Buzzing bee

i started one soon after we discussed getting married, oh about 3 years ago. at the moment, i’m the only one contributing since i have a more stable job than he does [he’s a freelancer web designer and is currently saving his pennies for a move] but he is anticipating contributing in the future. i’m not expecting my parents to contribute any since they’ve pretty much have been taking care of me while i live at home…those costs probably could have paid for a wedding! lol. but hopefully we’ll have the money by the time we get married!

Post # 21
    61 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

Congratulations!! We’ve got a good fund going, between the two of us contributing a certain percentage from each paycheck (we both have it set up by direct deposit so we don’t even have to think about it) and the “estimated” contributions from both sets of parents, along with gifts and tax return $$ and the extra cash we can toss in there we hope to have around $15k (but will probably end up being more like $17k), and will just keep that account going after the wedding: simply rename it from “The W(edding) Fund” to “The H(ouse) Fund”!

Post # 22
    1018 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2010

We don’t have money set aside, but we do have a goal in mind. My parents are paying and we are attempting to save them as much as possible, so we have set a low-goal of $3000. This doesn’t include honeymoon and Groom’s costs, or items we are taking care of on our own (such as rings, pre-marital counseling, etc). So far we are projecting to come it at right about $2750!

Post # 23
    4464 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

We definitely have a a plan!  We don’t want to charge ANYTHING, so we’ve been putting the money we can away for the wedding. I feel that it will certainly not hurt if we have extra money post-wedding because we’ll be saving for an (astronomical) down payment on an apartment!

Post # 24
    4384 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

we have a wedding fund. we put 100 bucks each into it off of every pay (every 2 weeks). since we’re having a long engagement, this will be a decent chunk of change!!

Post # 25
    6571 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2010

we got very lucky. i think my parents learned after my brothers wedding (that they probably didn’t think they’d be paying for, but his wife’s family doesn’t have any money) how much weddings are so they were prepared for mine. i remember during their planning process everything was about saving for the wedding, but they seem to have it all ready for us.

Post # 26
    219 posts
    Helper bee

Well my parents put $15,000 in an savings account about 5 months ago for my “future wedding” and I am not even engaged yet, I am just waiting on the ring…..Cool

Maybe they know something that I don’t….

Post # 27
    599 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

We didn’t do a wedding fund. We both already had pretty substantial savings, and just decided to live frugally and try to pay for it from paycheck to paycheck. I stopped ciphoning money from my paycheck to savings, and just paid for expenses as they came up. In the end the only transfer from savings we had to do was for $1500! Not too bad!

Our last payment is due Oct 12, nearly $2000, which we have in our checking. After that we are done! I can’t believe it! I definitely think if you pace it right, you can do what we did and not even dip into savings, but pay as you go along.

Post # 29
    376 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

We would really like to pay for everything ourselves, and we have a while, so we’ve each decided to try to save into a specific ‘wedding account’. The rule is that what goes in doesn’t come out…until we start planning & paying, or obviously if there’s an emergency.

I’m also saving for a ‘trousseau’ of sorts (girly wedding-related stuff that’s not a joint expense, per se).

@artbee: Wow, I wish my brother had gotten married first! Then my parents would know how much things cost! They seriously believe weddings are free.

The topic ‘We have $6,000!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors