- 9 years ago
- Wedding: November 2009
Okay so the Fiance and I are strapped for cash after planning and paying for this wedding ourselves. So due to that and his work schedule, we planned to just save up over the holidays and take our honeymoon sometime after the new year (we’re getting married in November) or in spring.
Well, FI’s best man and childhood friend tells us a few days ago that he and his wife want to gift us with a week’s stay, anywhere we want to go! SWEET! We can’t afford a flight, so it would have to be within driving distance, but that’s no problem – a free week anywhere we want is awesome! They were just like, hurry and let us know if you can get the time off. We asked (somewhat delicately and shyly) what the priceline was. We were told that cost was not a concern, they just needed to know soon so they could book it in time.
So we both had to go back and grovel to our bosses and change our time off (from the week before to the week after) plus I had to add two days to my time off to prepare for the wedding the week of, which means I now need 7 days off instead of 5. After about an hour of negotiations, my boss grants it but because I used all of my vacation for surgery, I am going to have to work OT and “bank” it for time off now. Okay, whatever… it’s worth it. Fi does the same, and after his boss got a little irritated that he was now changing his plans, he too granted the change.
Soooooooooooooooooo, we let the couple know that we had both gotten the time off, and that we were searching for a place and would let them know, thanked them profusely and that we were going to stay within a low budget.
They then tell us that they actually had a discount plan with a certain place, and we’ll have to stay there. Um, what??? And then we find out that it’s an efficiency, basically a very small hotel room, with no way to cook. Well, the only way we could afford to go was to be in a condo with a kitchen, so we wouldn’t have to eat out. We had already told them that when we asked – do you mind if it’s a condo? And they said no. But now, we have to stay in a tiny (I mean, waaaay smaller than a normal hotel room) at a place we didn’t want to go to (too far of a drive) and eat out all week when we can’t afford to, and you wait until AFTER we’ve jumped through hoops quickly to get the time off?
I realize that you shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, and even if they’re getting some kind of a deal, that a week anywhere isn’t cheap. I guess my problem is – why all of the “anywhere is fine, at any price” talk and then as soon as we commit, the plan changes?
Am I missing something here?