(Closed) wedding 4 weeks away and I’m short $2,900! Don’t know what to do!

posted 6 years ago in Money
Post # 3
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

Cut things out and you might have to take losses if you already paid a deposit. 

Post # 4
1319 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

Can you cut lighting and draping entirely? I feel like that costs a lot, would probably help you out, and isn’t necessary. And cut the DJ’s time, possibly iPod the last hour or two.

Post # 5
1755 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Cut back on some things as pp mentioned.  Look around to see if you ‘ve got anything you can sell on ebay or have a yard sale.  You said you’d expected your father to help more, so unless you know why he’s not helping, try talking to your parents to see if they can help any.  Could you get a part time job at a fast food restaurant?  It might help with even a little money.

Post # 6
705 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 1993

Definitely cut the lighting/draping guy, consider downgrading the linens, cut your flowers to just bouquets and buy bunches of flowers from Whole Foods/local grower instead.  No one NEEDS any of these things.  You do need to feed your guests (usually) and you do need your venue and church.  Other than that, it’s fluff.

Post # 7
878 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

In addition to the suggestions above, can you DIY flowers or choose simpler arrangements that would cost less?

Post # 8
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I’d say cut lighting/draping if you can – those services are always crazy expensive, so that could help quite a bit. Cut bits and pieces elsewhere, maybe switch to a less fancy linen, cut out favors, etc. Is there any way you can appeal to your father or any other family member (yours or FI’s) for a temporary loan? Stress that it will be repaid and make sure to follow through on repayment after the wedding.

Post # 9
375 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Cut out draping, lighting, and downsize flowers or DIY with cheaper flowers, maybe you will need to use recorded music instead of a musician for ceremony

Post # 10
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Yes you may have to cut some things here, Use your I pod for the music and cut the DJ and musicians, ask the venue if you are able to pay on terms and sign an agreement with them if you have to. 

Use this as a lesson for your future for learning how to budget and stay within your budget… but BREATH and start asking your vendors for alternate ways to pay them or cut them

Post # 11
2539 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

what about your Fiance how is his credit? can ny family loan you some money? Is everyone under contract? can you maybe have an IPOD instead of the DJ? do you really need lighting and draping?? maybe this can be cut also?

Post # 12
1866 posts
Buzzing bee

Would it be possible to return shower gifts that you receive and get cash?

Post # 13
13013 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I agree, cut back on whatever you can right now, but you may have to take losses on you deposits.  It’s close to the wedding, so you may be stuck having to pay the contracted fees anyway, though.

Can you call the vendors and explaint he situation and hope they’ll set up a payment plan for after the wedding, or suggest ways to reduce the overall cost? 

Have you approached your father and asked if he could at least front you the money as an interest free loan and you’ll pay him back with either gift money you receive at the wedding, or as soon as you can afterwards?

Post # 15
1755 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Another thing, depending on what you’ve paid for your cake, you might be able to simplify your cake and not have to pay anything further or only a little.  Buttercream instead of fondant and avoiding expensive sugar flowers can mean some serious savings.

Post # 16
3773 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 1999

I think you need to contact your vendors immeadiately to see if you can even cut back on services at this point. Your final payments should be due soon.

Here are some things that might work

Venue: See if there is still time to change the meal and go with the cheapest option. Cut all alcohol or bare minimum beer/wine.

DJ: See if you could cut down time and use an IPOD during cocktail hour and dinner.

Lighting: Cut if possible for a refund, this might not be an option since it is so close.

Linens: See if you can change what you ordered and get basic, nothing fancy just getting the job done

The topic ‘wedding 4 weeks away and I’m short $2,900! Don’t know what to do!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors