Post # 1
This is my second wedding related meltdown in as many weeks! Well, not really a meltdown, I’m just annoyed.
– I have the pocketfolds, etc. for the invitations, all I need to do is getting the actual invite bit printed. I found two places that had the cardstock I wanted in the colour I like and both places ended up changing their quotes to add some ridiculous fees once they realised that they are printing wedding invitations. It’s so frustrating to see the price go up just because it’s wedding related!
– We don’t have a photographer booked yet. I found three that I liked and they all ended up being over $7,000. That might not sound bad, but we have a small wedding and our reception is only just costing that. The base price always sounds good and again, the nickel and diming starts
– My mom is driving me crazy!! She won’t shut up about babies! She seems to think that I’ll be knocked up the day after the wedding, she told her friends that we’re getting married so quickly because we want to get pregnant right away. Not true! She’s constantly making sanctimommy type comments towards me and mentioning my fiance’s age. It’s just stress and annoyance that I don’t need!
– Again on my mom, she’s just driving me crazy on wedding stuff in general. Doesn’t like this idea, doesn’t like that idea, hates anything DIY. She’s making so much of this wedding all about her
– FSIL is also doing a little bit of that, and I feel pressure to keep everyone happy but I don’t want to do it at the expense of my own happiness. I’ve been here before with my first wedding and it was definitely a regret that I had
And, I have stuff going on at work now too. Last week was hell and I doubt this week will be much better. I have a personal day that I have to use before the end of June so I’m thinking I’m going to take it this week sometime. I think I need a sanity day!
Post # 3
$7000!? Whoa. We’re having a small wedding and I consider our $3700 photographer to be a big splurge lol.
Most annoying thing in all of my wedding planning? My mother. Seems to be a common problem!
Post # 4
@orchidaloha: Print with either Vista Print or a Staples. I know staples doesn’t do cardstock, but we ordered card stock from Creative Memories, and then the 80-Lbs cover paper for Staples to print on, mounted on that and then adhered to the pocket fold. This is how it turned out.
What province are you in? Do they have a Wedding Guide type booklet? I’m in Ontario and got the wedding guide at a wedding show and literally emailed/called every vendor I thought was interesting in order to get quotes and also I googled like a mad woman. I’m near Toronto and have full day coverage for 2,000 + tax including all digital rights and copies on a hard drive. We saved by ignoring prints/albums etc. thinking if we really want those either we can print our own, or we can get him to make the album later 🙂
Have you let her know that you’re not planning on kids right away? Mine used to be doing that to me but I made it extremely clear its not happening, and if she continued I would not tell her when I WAS pregnant. She dropped it.
Honestly, keep some things to yourself instead of telling your mom, I know that can be really difficult since you want to share the joy, but if she’s going to be negative and shoot it all down then decide on things and do. Or let her know “Mom I’m doing this and I wanted to show you, I’m really excited so please don’t be negative” some people don’t realize they are being “Debbie Downers” so you have to let them know 🙂
Post # 5
@orchidaloha: I went to staples too. Just ordered it on white card stock. Even at 65lbs it made the invite heavier than regular postage…and I didnt have pocketfolds….so just be aware.
I’m also from ON, and there’s no way I’d pay more than 2K on photography…there’s tons to choose from below that price.
Post # 6
@orchidaloha: Where in Ontario are you from? If you’re around Hamilton check out Pete Stec from Stec Photgraphers. Great prices and they are willing to work on an hourly basis…
Lol you remind me of my first wedding… trying to please everyone etc. NEVER AGAIN. This wedding is about me & FH… people not happy? They can stay home.
Post # 7
Now, I’m gonna make a big assumption, by your $7000 photographer quote, you’re either in Vancouver or Toronto (two most expensive wedding cities). You can definitely get a great photographer for less than that. If you’re in Toronto, PM, I have a suggestion for you.
Post # 8
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I actually live in Calgary and we’re getting married in the mountains. Staples was one of the places that jacked up the price when they saw that they were wedding invitations.. but I’m going to go there again today, I have a friend who used to work there who has given me some advice for what to say to get them to charge me the “regular” fee.
Post # 9
@Elky: She knows that we’re not planning on having kids right away but she’s choosing to ignore it.
We actually are going to try right away but we have some issues and who knows how long it will take… I would never ever, ever tell her that we’re having problems though. She’s not the kind of person that I could ever share that information with unfortunately.
It’s just frustrating that she’s turned all sanctimommy on me… she told me last night that my life won’t be fullfilled until we have kids. And kidS, not the one that we want. Ugh.