(Closed) Wedding Baby???

posted 8 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
1408 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Hmmmm…For #1, if one of my BMs came to me and said she was pregnant and due near the wedding, I would be okay with it. I would ask when she was due though, and if it was too near (like, within 4 weeks in either direction) I might ask her to step down and maybe do something else (read, usher, etc.) for 2 reasons- 1) standing on her feet through a ceremony and pictures, etc. while 8-9 months pregnant would be highly uncomfortable for her. and 2- if she had the baby right before the wedding she’d probably not make it to the wedding anyhow (exhaustion, adjusting to a new baby and first time mommyhood, etc).

For #2. I would suggest both looking for dresses which will fit a pregnant lady AND ask that you have time to save up to buy it (so you will know if you are pregnant before hand). Alternatively, discretely ask the sales clerk what their exchange policy is if you buy a dress now and end up needing a maternity size later. They Might let you exchange a normal dress for a maternity dress.

Good luck! 🙂

Post # 4
283 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

#1 – I definately wouldn’t be mad. Just as you should support her going into marriage she should support you going into parrenthood. However, maybe it would be best for both of you if you wasn’t a BM? She wouldn’t have to fear that perhaps you can’t turn up, and you wouldn’t need to feel guilty. You could help her with planning and everything either way – she’d still be your friend.

No matter how close a friend/family, I would not change any plan regarding getting pregnant.

#2 – Ask the clerck for the return policy, and wait to buy anything if they won’t exchange it later. But don’t try to steer everybody else to maternety-clothes.

Post # 5
2719 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

My FSIL/BM recently announced that she’s pregnant & due 2 weeks before the wedding day. I couldn’t be happier for her! Even though I picked a style, I have a maternity option that’s similar to the dress (I didn’t like the style NOT in maternity. They all looked preggo). I would mention it to the bride if you’re comfortable with it, so she has a heads up that she should have a maternity option for you. Maybe you could wait to try a little bit so you don’t have to worry about being due that close to the wedding?

Post # 6
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Well I just had 2 BMs announce last week they are prego.  Both will be close to 5 months by the time the wedding rolls around.  They bought dresses in their current sizes because they weren’t planning on getting pregant.  Both are in the high risk levels.  So I’m not going to ask them to step down or buy another dress. My wedding is in 2 months and I’m thinking we will wait to see how big they get and deal with the dress thing then.  Also, if either one thinks she can’t stand during the wedding I can have them walk down the asile and have a seat in the first row.  Most people at the wedding will know they are prego so I think everyone will know why they take a seat.

As for you, I would let your friend know that you are going to start trying but that you still want to be apart of the wedding party.  And you might hold off on ordering the dress until it gets closer.  If it were me as the bride I’d rather know now and deal with it when it happens.

Post # 8
576 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

To me my Future Sister-In-Law is trying to get prego around the same time as our wedding. Im not sure why.. but i know shes doing it on purpose.

We were planning on getting married in May 2010 and she was planning on having a baby in May , then once we decided to change our date to 10-10-10 shes planning it around Oct too…



Anywho thats not you though…



Personally if you feel your going to want to step down at the last minute your prob better off not being one. I would hate to invest money and what not into one of my girls when she knew she was planning on being prego and stepping down at the last minute.


I would consider being a reader or something else at her wedding.


You could try dresses on just look for more flowy dresses. I would also give a heads up to the bride and let her know . Then you and her can decide if its best.

My main concern is if your thinking of steping down if you “do” get prego… then why buy a dress and go through all of that?




Post # 10
576 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Yeah i think you will be ok as long as you give heads up. Sorry if i sounded Biotchy.. Future Sister-In-Law makes me so mad haha

The topic ‘Wedding Baby???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors