- 6 years ago
Whether or not you choose to have a cake or your venue automatically provides one, there are no rights or wrong in having a cake (or not). But in terms of flavors, NY Magazine discusses the most popular flavors.
The average cost for a cake is $500 and up, depending upon your city or town and amount of guests. Generally, a slice is about $3.00 to $6.00 (one slice per person) and the ingredients will dictate the cost. In other words, vanilla bean is cheaper than vanilla bean with coconut and fresh strawberries.
Definately do a tasting. Choose a variety of flavors or just one – it does not matter. Whatever you choose, your guests will enjoy it. You may also want to do a smaller cake on top of a cupcake tower – offering various flavors to your guests. You can have a candy station in leiu of cake or even pies, a gelato/ice cream station or serve a beautiful tray of cookies on each table along with coffee and tea. There’s such a variety these days, that you should not feel that a cake is mandatory. You could always cut into a smaller cake for photos and serve your guests your favorite italian pastries, like cannolis or creme brulee or a chocolate fountain with fresh fruit and other goodies to dip. According to NY magazine’s top bakeries, here’s the most popular flavors (descending):
10. Chocolate-almond cake, chocolate ganache, and mocha buttercream
9. Banana cake and chocolate buttercream
8. Coconut cake and lime buttercream
7. Hazelnut-almond cake, chocolate ganache, and raspberries
6. White cake, lemon buttercream, and raspberries
5. Chocolate devil’s food cake, chocolate ganache, and praline buttercream
4. Lemon cake, lemon curd, and vanilla buttercream
3. Yellow butter cake and chocolate buttercream and/or chocolate ganache
2. Chocolate devil’s food cake, vanilla buttercream, and raspberries
1. Chocolate devil’s food cake and vanilla buttercream
Check out these links for ideas:
Alternative to Wedding cakes: