Post # 92
I am totally in competition with two other brides whose weddings are next to ours, It’s really sick and I’m not proud of myself for being so petty. Still, it is what it is and I might as well own up to it: I am one competitive biotch. LOL
Post # 93
This thread is great.
I’m still early in the planning so there are sins that I will be committing later on (thanks for the ideas.)
The only thing I’ve done so far to is to decide to get married where I live instead of my hometown, because I didn’t want any friends or coworkers of my parents to attend. However I still want to invite them so they send me presents. This plan may backfire, but it works great in my head.
Post # 94
I’ve got a couple, but not HUGE ones.
– Only sending 42 Save the Dates, but sending 71 invitations… figure that one out. 🙂
– I’m not doing hotel blocks, but I did give info for three close hotels. I don’t want to arrange for transportation to/from the venue, either. Our Out of Town guests used to live here, so I figured they can manage on their own.
– We are definitely doing strategic table assignments. Some to keep the peace, but mostly for our own entertainment 😉
Post # 95
1. I have felt NO GUILT about not wanting children there. Like, I really don’t want children there. I will NOT be addressing invites to “The _____ Family” and I don’t care if people think that’s rude. Don’t bring your kids. This is our day, I don’t need them running around crazy and making their parents do the whole parenting thing…I want adults to come and enjoy it as a night out!!
2. I make no effort to talk to my Future In-Laws about our wedding. To be fair, they NEVER ask (FI’s dad never even called us to say “congrats” when we got engaged back in JULY), and I don’t go out of my way to call my Future Mother-In-Law and share details with her. It’s a complicated relationship (I’ve posted about it in previous threads) and they are difficult people. Future Mother-In-Law did come over once (ONCE since July…they live 4 miles away) and looked at my “wedding inspiration lookbook” and made comments about each one. Lace wedding dress that is classic, romantic, and gorgeous?? She says “oh…well….that’s…….ornate. I’m really not crazy about it” Um, IT’S LACE. Opinions about FI’s suggestions for a groom’s cake? “well, if we’re paying for it, i get to choose the flavor and what it looks like” Ughhhh. It’s just not worth it. I don’t extend invitations to them to do or discuss things, and I don’t solict their opinions.
Post # 96
Fiance wants to invite a high school friend who I know, but we don’t see reguarly. I don’t like her, purely for vain jealousy reasons (oh whatever, we all have our hang ups), but every time I bring up that I’d rather not invite her my Fiance just says I’m being silly and that he thinks I’m way more beautiful. Uh, sweet, but not the point.
We’re sending our Save the Dates out and I asked him to collect addresses for all his family and friends – but left her off the list. He doesn’t seem to have noticed (it was a pretty large list) and I’m hoping he never does!
Post # 97
Marrying the man of my dreams aside….I can’t wait for all the presents!!! I am expecting to profit at least $50,000 in cash and gifts (mostly cash though). In my mind I have already spent it on a vacation, the mortgage, and home improvements.
Post # 98
Yeah…I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t also excited about all the gifts and cash…
Post # 100
I don’t really like our cantor that much.
I want people to leave their kids at home (except our flower girl and her siblings, so I’m totally playing favorites)
FI’s parents invited a crapload of friends and I hope lots RSVP no.
I hope my large group of guy friends stay single so I don’t have to invite them with +1s.
I am nervous to see the bridesmaids’ dress for real- it is hard to choose a color off a 1/2 inch square swatch! I am nervous to see what the whole picture looks like.
Post # 101
Ha, I’m leaning towards trying to appear as though I’m not even offereing +1’s for some of my family members. I have a few cousins whose “flavors of the week” have really no business being at my wedding!
Post # 102
We’re not officially engaged yet, and I really hope once we tell the Future In-Laws they offer to pay for the wedding! I’m from a single-parent-low-income family so I won’t let my mum pay a dime, but I can’t exactly afford to pay for it all myself either. His family is comfortable and very generous so here’s hoping!!
Also my sister (6 years older) has been in a committed relationship for years now and is turning 30 next year, and my extended family is very traditional so there is mounting pressure on her to tie the knot already (both of them are commitment phobes). Part of me so excited by the idea that once I officially announce my engagement, she is going to be floored and the family is really going to start bugging her.
We’re not having a registry because we don’t need stuff but we’ll find a classy way to ask for monetary gifts (for a house down payment or something responsible like that). He has a huge family so yeah hoping for some decent coin…
Post # 103
I love this thread! I have a neighbor that I don’t really care for but was gong to invite her just to keep the peace. All she would talk about was how she was gong to get drunk on all the free booze and after she asked if she can get a ew plates to take home I decided I wouldn’t be inviting her anymore. She asked and I told her due to budget reasons it was for close friends and family only. I also told one friend that children would not be allowed. Most people are not bringing them so they can have an adult night out, but she wanted to bring her horrid little girl. The child throws about 15-20 tantrums a day and she just reasons and bribes her to stop. So I know she would do something to ruin my ceremony. She might not be coming any way. Ooops!
Post # 104
I try not to let either family in on my plans until they’re already done, because they’re both way too opinionated and I’m a pushover who can’t say “no” to anybody, so I would end up having a wedding that wasn’t what I wanted. There were several people that my Fiance and I invited because we had to but that we secretly wished wouldn’t come. I’m sure I’ll think of more 😉
Post # 105
I’m definitely going to send out some late invites in hopes that some guests that I’m obligated to invite don’t attend. We’re also renting out a bar for our reception (sort of a pub style place) and it’ll have food, dancing, etc, but obviously a bar isn’t kid friendly
My Fiance and I are also delegating a couple of people we don’t like very much to keep my crazy ass mother busy so she’s not infuriating us when the big day comes. That way it keeps them all out of our hair!
Post # 106
I think the meanest thing I’ve done is to have FH tell his family not to wear white or black…..
because I know they’ll have to go out and buy something entirely new to wear
And….. I’m seating them closest to the food/bathroom. Farthest away from our table as possible.