(Closed) Wedding Date: April 8, 2011. I’m pretty sure I am WAY behind!

posted 8 years ago in April 2011
Post # 3
2054 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

book your photographer and officiant…thats the two immediate things that come to mind.

Post # 4
348 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Don’t worry about those to-do lists. Just do things as you are able to. If you follow those too closely, you’ll go crazy!

I would suggest you put the photographer on the top of your to-do list, since those can book up fast. I booked our photographer about 5 1/2 months before the wedding, and there were still a lot of photographers available at that point, but I wouldn’t wait much longer than that. One hint I have is to google search photographers in your city, and also small surrounding towns/cities. I found a lot of up and coming photographers that don’t do much advertising, and the big names I always heard about weren’t necessarily better, but they were triple the cost!

Anyway, photographer and caterer should be at the top of your list right now. Then look for the DJ, and invitations you can honestly put on hold for a little while until you have those three figured out. We had our invitations finalized and printed just before we sent them out.

Post # 5
1995 posts
Buzzing bee

I wouldn’t worry to much about “the vision”.  That always seemed like something event planners created so you’ll hire them.  I bet your gut instincts will lead you towards what you want and don’t want!

for sure: guest list, invites, photographer, caterer & officiant.  you still have time to do premaritial councelling and engagement photos.  Ask the venue for recomendations for each of these.  I’d interview a couple of each then go from there. 

Also: cake, DJ, flowers (big), Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses, Groom & Groomsmen suits/tux’s, limo, hotel blocks, DOC (if needed), hair/make up.

Post # 6
955 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

My date is April 7 2011, and I think we have done about the same. I have booked the venue and ordered my dress. I have started geting quotes for caterers and dj and we are going to our first tasting next week. I bought diy invitations this past weekend. I am still doing save the dates, but haven’t started them yet. I know our favors, lotto scratch off tickets, I think they are fun and easy. My sisters still need to pick thier dresses (both MOH) , and I have changed my colors 3 or 4 times already, but with the purchase of the invites colors are set. And our guest list is pretty much done as well just collecting a few addresses still. I think you are doing good. One thing at a time πŸ™‚

Post # 7
1537 posts
Bumble bee

I’m in the same boat! My wedding date is April 12, 2011. I think a lot of people just like to get the planning out of the way. Normally I am the same way, but there have been a lot of items on my wedding planning list that I didn’t previouly even consider!

I’ve booked our venue, ordered my dress, and am beginning my DIY invitations this weekend. Pinkb let me know how your invitations turn out. I’d love to see some photos. I’m still working on what wording I think will be best for the invitations. Hoping to have them mailed by next weekend….

I know what you mean about the “vision” part, but at this point I have chosen my colors and I;m really just trying to fit the peices together. So far things have been going well. Does anyone know how long it takes for bridesmaids dresses to be ordered in? It’s not even close to the length for a wedding gown I’m hoping??

Good luck in all your planning fellow bees πŸ™‚

Post # 8
268 posts
Helper bee

Allison_Rebecca: I think you are fine. I know the only reason I have a lot of things done is because I was deployed for most of the year and wanted to make sure I get all the vendors I liked before it was too late. I think if you start now you will be on the right track. Try to get the big stuff done like photographer, DJ, Caterer, and Minister as soon as possible. The rest will fall in place. 

Good Luck and keep us posted. 

Post # 9
301 posts
Helper bee

I already feel behind but I know I have quite a but of stuff done. I want to have everything done as soon as I can so I feel less stressed as the wedding approaches. I found that “wedding shopping” has been very time consuming and has taken me a long time to find what I want. But where I am, I don’t have too many options.

• I have booked my venue, reception at the same place.
  • Put a deposit on my florist.
  • Have a DJ and photographer
  • Did cake testing and decided where i’ll be getting my cake and going to put a deposit.
  • Picked out my dress and bridesmaid dresses.
  • Nought invitations and response cards.

My next big project will be to find an officiant. You will want to get your big this out of the way.

Post # 10
824 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011 - The Tribute Golf Club

Definitely nail down the vendors that you want to use.  I think that the “vision” will develop more as you make purchases.

Post # 11
504 posts
Busy bee

I’m also an April 8, 2011 bride! I feel like I’m behind my ownself but I’m probably not. I made a month by month to do list and its been working well so far. It makes me feel a little less overwhelmed with all my projects left to do. If I’m able to skip ahead and get something else completed I’m all smiles. I just booked my venue last month which included the caterer. I booked the photographer this month. I’ve started on my diy invitations (have only made 2 so far) and have a few other projects completed. I think once you get the BIG stuff completed the little things will just fall into place over the months. Good luck!

Post # 12
2054 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

If you dont have an exact timeline and are feeling a little lost with the “to-do” list Theknot.com and Weddingwire.com have great checklists that you can use.

Post # 13
1801 posts
Buzzing bee

Don’t worry one bit about keeping up with the timelines!  I was always way off from the timelines and it worked out just fine. 

I agree that you need to tie down the venues, officiant, and photographer.  And on the save the dates, you can send those out now or up through January I’d say.  I was “late” sending mine and it didn’t matter to anyone but me.

No one will know what you did at what point of planning, so follow your own timeline.

Post # 14
35 posts
Newbee

Hey ladies,

We are getting married April 16th 2011 and believe it or not – I just started my planning like 2 weeks ago! And I am pretty much feeling on the same boat and that I am wayyyyyy behind of everything.  So far, we’ve only booked the reception (includes food/drink/all inclusive), the church, and the photographer.  AND THAT’s IT!!! I think I’m a little freaking out … I don’t even have any save-the-date card yet and I thought those are supposed to go out like last month or something … 

I’m hoping to get the cards out like next month if I’m lucky.  I haven’t really thought of everything detail – my ‘vision’ is so still blurry and all over the place – SO yeaaa, I am def. behind πŸ™ …

Post # 15
601 posts
Busy bee

Make a deadline to have everything done by. I’m trying to make sure I have all of my accessories by December at the latest. This way I have 4 months to get anything else I didn’t think of getting. It will all get done! =)

Post # 16
237 posts
Helper bee

I feel the same way!!! My date is Apr. 30th and I’ve been engaged for almost a year now. Wow! πŸ™‚

I was gunho probably WAY too much at the start of my engagement – like from the day of just about until months after and then I think I burned out..and stopped for months..then picked up..then stopped. Now I feel even more rushed as the date is fast approaching. So you’re not alone. (hugs!)

@soonerpsych – it makes me feel better to hear you say that you sent your s-t-d’s out later than the ‘timelines’ say…and things were fine. πŸ™‚ As I am feeling the pressure….

@ Allison Rebecca – I would say you still have time for save the dates…focus perhaps right now on also getting a photographer, officiant, and finalize your guest list.

I have found that my guest list has been one of the most difficult things for me to figure out. πŸ™‚ So, for your sake, I hope you’re more organized w. that part. haha.

Good to see you do have some of the other things already too like your dress, the venue, caterer…nice. πŸ™‚

Good luck to you!

Good luck!  

The topic ‘Wedding Date: April 8, 2011. I’m pretty sure I am WAY behind!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors