Post # 1
I saw an interesting non-essentials wedding thread and it got me thinking…
What are you downgrading or eliminating altogether to not spend on for your wedding?
*POST PICS if you can 🙂
-Small guest list of 40
-DIY & email Save the Dates
-Silk flowers for decor and bouquet
-$40 shoes for me
-Bought dress as sample online
-No DJ, speaker system music
Post # 2
Oooh! I’ll play!
We are still in the early stages of planning, but we are already pretty sure we are going to do without…
- A DJ (will use an iPod or laptop and make our own playlist)
- 8+ hours of photography
- Professionally arranged flowers (I plan to get flowers from the flower market downtown – they are so cheap! – and make bouquets/boutonnieres ourselves)
- Floral centerpieces
- Fancy cake
- Limo/car rental
- Paid officiant (we have asked a close friend)
These are all pretty much due to our very tight budget. I would totally at least have a DJ and more/better photography if I could. And I’d kill to have a wedding coordinator, at least for the day of the wedding. But they cost about $1,000 at the cheapest. Alas!
Post # 3
Centerpiece flowers, favors, videographer, candy or dessert station, photo booth And for the cocktail hour we are having the bare minimum that is provided in the package which in one appatizer per guest.
Also idk if I will have a limo or just jump in my car and drive back home. We may not get a hotel the night of because we most likely will just go home and pass out and leave the following day to our Honeymoon so that is still up in the air.
Post # 4
- Wedding: July 2015 - Carmen\'s Lakeview
Videographer, limo/car, cheap invites, no Save the Dates, limited photography, cheap dress (only $110 for the dress, minus alterations), programs, flowers done by family friend…
Post # 5
-We are not having a professional photographer so asking my fsil doing it for free.
-Reception for only 3 hours for free if more than would have to pay more.
-not having a videographer
-centerpieces are not real flowers
-boquets are preserve flowers not fresh flowers done by my fsil
-not having a limo driver
-not planning on getting nails professionally done.
-small guest list
Post # 6
- Wedding: October 2016 - Hazelton Manor - Vaughan Ontario
I’ve decided not to use any floral centerpieces.
Post # 7
We cut flowers from centerpieces and my mom is doing our bouquets. We are not having a wedding cake or wedding favors. our friend is a photographer so we got a deal there. There will be no wedding day transportation. I also bought my dress of the rack at 50% discount. I used groupons to purchase our save the dates and invites off zazzle. We also cut out day or stationary such as programs by using large frames that everyone can stop and read.
Post # 8
Any more Bees wanna share what they’re saving on?
Post # 9
The biggest cost saver for us is that we are probably not having food catered. I think the plan now is to order food from a grocery store and set it up nicely. My sister and cousin both did this with fried chicken and different sides and everyone liked it.
Cake will be made by family/friends. Not sure how professional it will look, but its likely to be delicious!
Skipping save the dates, ordering the bare minimum for invited from vista print for hopefully under $75.00.
DIY hair and makeup.
No dancing/DJ. May play music off an ipod.
Having only four hours of photography for $700.00.
Basically, we’re having an old school low-ish budget church wedding! Hoping to keep it at around $5,000.
Post # 10
We’ve cut so much, ha!
• DJ – Hey, Spotify, you lookin’ good! Plus Fiance and I are so picky about music anyway I doubt we would have been happy with a DJ. I’ve only ever heard horror stories from other people about them.
• Professional Wedding Cake – We’re serving doughnuts and having a friend who is a pastry chef bake a small cake for us to cut.
• Videography – Why? You watch it once when you get it and then store it away forever. No one else wants to see it either.
• Professional Florist – DIY flowers from fiftyflowers.com, and then we’re having an ‘Arrangement Party’ two days befor the wedding with the BMs and some other friends (mimosas will be present).
• Limo – Again, I’ve heard a lot of horror stories here too. Seems like the limo is always late. Not worth it for the price either.
• Wedding Favors – People forget them quickly anyhow.
• Save-the-Dates – Spreading the word ourselves and letting people know.
• Professionally Printed Invitions – DIY-ing this too. My Maid/Matron of Honor is an artist and designing the invites, and then we’ll print it at the seminary a Bridesmaid or Best Man graduated from which has very inexpensive printing costs, and putting them together ourselves.
• Cocktails and Heavy H’ordeuvres – In lieu of a sit-down dinner.
• Limited Bar – Two wines, two beers, and two types of cocktails. That’s it!
• Designer Shoes – I’ll be wearing the beautiful nude pumps I invested in a while ago.
• Bridesmaid or Best Man Hair / Makeup – I’ll be letting them know the salon where I’ll be getting ready at, and invite them to come along if they like to pay for themselves to get their hair down, but I’m not making them.
• Bouquet / Garter Toss – It’s super awkward.
• Ring Bearer / Flowr Girl
Yet, still with all of that, budgeting has been difficult. Meh.
Post # 11
My mom is an amazing wedding planner and also does her own floral arrangements – she is basically Martha Stewart without the jail part. So we are going to save money by not needing to pay for a wedding planner or florist.
A few other things that Fiance and I decided to go without, that are saving us money here and there — no favors, cupcakes instead of cake, no ring bearer/flower girl, no bouquet/garter toss. At the moment, we are undecided if we are doing a videographer or not…Fiance wants one really bad, but I’m still not sold.
Post # 12
We’re saving by cutting out:
- All food/drinks – telling guests to bring food if they’re gonna wanna eat
- Definitely no cake, my aunt is gonna bring over some candy she has leftover from halloween for those guests who want something sweet
- No DJ – using youtube playlist or spotify
- No flowers
- No invitations – we just sent a mass email
- Definitely no limo
- No alcohol, no beverages. Again, guests are welcome to bring their own
- No paid officiant – we’re having a friend do it
- No photographer, guests will just snap pics with their phones
- No expensive wedding dress, got a plain white sundress from Target, and Fiance is just gonna wear his jeans and work boots since he has to go to work right after
Post # 13
No bridal party (no playing favorites, no drama haha)
No open bar (perhaps just a signature cocktail or two)
4 hours of photography, 1 photographer
Ceremony and reception in one place
No ceremony flowers aside from baby’s breath
Cupcakes instead of a cake
Small guest list
Minimizing the paper – no menus, no direction inserts, no programs, etc.
No wedding album – all photos go on jump drives and I will make coffee table books on a site like Shutter fly
Post # 14
Your fiance is going to work right after you get married???
Post # 15
By far the biggest way we’ve saved money is by having our wedding on a Thursday rather than the weekend. It dropped the price of the venue from over $3000 to $521, and that includeds tables, chairs, linens, and some decor. The things we’re flat out skipping are bridesmaids/groomsmen, DJ, limo, engagement ring, expensive invites, alcohol, a videographer, most of the flowers, favors, and pretty much anything Pinterest would lead you to believe is an absolute necessity.