- 8 years ago
- Wedding: September 2011
My fiance and I got engaged in November 2009 and decided to get married in September of 2011. His mother was diagnosted with lung cancer in January of this year. His father already passed away from cancer 7 years ago. I asked his mother if she wanted us to move up the wedding date or change any of our plans and she told me not to change anything.
Initially her prognosis seemed really good and after surgery there was a hope that they had gotten everything but unfortunately the cancer has now metastasized to the brain. Her doctors will not give her a prognosis regarding how much longer they think she will have – which may be a good sign. But she will have already lived with this cancer for 1 year come January 2011.
My fiance and his mother still want me to leave all of my plans in place for the wedding in September. But I feel that it seems callous to continuing planning a wedding that she may not be able to attend or what if the worst comes to play this year and she is in hospice or very ill when we are getting married. That would be terrible. I just don’t know what to do. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this or have an advice?