- 5 years ago
- Wedding: July 2016
So, I got married July 16, 2016. My wedding did not turn out the way I wanted it to at all. Now I do not have good feelings about my wedding and I feel embarrassed when I think about how all the planning and the actual weekend went. I need help feeling better about our wedding. I am with the best man that I love so much. We are so happy to be married but I cannot stop thinking about how disappointed I am in the whole thing. So, I will start from the very beginning…
1. Derek (my now husband) did not plan out the proposal very well. His origional plan didn’t work out because he got too nervous, so when he did propose I could tell that he felt awkward so neither one of us enjoyed it as much as we should have. He has always regreted proposing to me the way he did.
2. First, my mom and dad are seperated. My dad agreed to pay $2000 for the wedding and my mom said she would pay for my dress….My mom ended up not paying for a single thing and my dad only paid $1500….So the rest of the bills went to me and my fiance…..We are still in school by the way….so we do not have much money to spend. So, thankfully the groom’s parents picked most of the bills and I paid the rest. However, I hate that they had to do that. They already do so much for us that I did not want them to have to pay for all the wedding too!
3. My family did not help plan anything…..It was completely me planning and my husbands mom helping.
4. The Worst of All….Seven months after we booked our reception venue the place went backrupt and closed!!!!! We lost our $750 deposit and never heard from the owners. I left about 50 messages for them to call me and they never did. I also had the invitations done when they closed so I had to spend more money to make new ones…..By myself because my family would not help and all my bridesmaids live far away in the summer.
5. The only place open for a reception on our date (we sent out save the dates) was the most expensive place in town. It was also not the style we wanted at all.
6. I had to order my wedding dress 6 times! The place I bought it kept getting the size wrong. Then when the right size did come the dress either had a stain or a rip in it.
Day Before the Wedding:
7. My mom was 5 hours late getting to the venue to decorate! She also had the majority of the decorations so not all the decorating got done. Because of this I didn’t get to do the decorating I wanted and had to rely on other people to figure it out since I had the rehersal, the rehearsal dinner, nail appointments, and activities with the wedding party.
8. My mom was 45 minutes late to the rehearsal! She also brought my 3 sisters (who were bridesmaids) late, so they didn’t know what to do!
9.Becasue we were so behind on the decorating not everything got communicated. I had lists for everyone and a plan for everything. But I didn’t get to tell people so no one knew the plans.
10. At the rehersal dinner I gave everyone itineraries and lists of job duties….no one read them! So wedding day no one knew what to do!
11. Then to add to my stress of not finishing decorating, the nail salon did not keep our nail appointments. We got there and the place was packed. So we had to sit around and wait. Thankfully we got done in time for the rehersal. Although we only had like 10 minutes to get ready. I was so pissed.
12. Because no one read their itineraries of lists and not everything got communicated the day seemed so unorganized. I was embarrassed. I spent so much time planning and making sure everyting was typed up with specific details. Then no one read the lists….
13. We invited about 450 people to the wedding….only 200 RSVP yes…..only about 150 showed up. I paid $18 per plate for 50 people that did not show up…..Extrememly rude. My husband and I are both very embarrassed that we had a horrible turn out for the number of people that were invited.
14. During the ceremony, I broke out in a very noticeable red rash on my arms, chest, back, and neck. It is in all the pictures….great!
15. My bustle broke the first few minutes I had it bustled. So we had to safety pin it. Unfortunately it fell out all night.
16. The microphone echoed so bad that you couldn’t understand any of the speeches.
17. The DJ’s speakers made a super loud fuzzy noice during the first dances….It scared everyone in there and sounded horrible.
18. The limo driver was 45 minutes late! So we did a bubble exit after the ceremony and had nowhere to go after but back inside the church. Then they had to kik us out for the upcoming mass. So we all sat in the parking lot waiting for the limo.
19. We did a garter auction….horrible idea. No one bid for the garter. The bidding started at $5 and only went to $20…My MOH’s wedding was this last weekend and she got $525 for hers. Again, very embarrassing on my part.
20. My dad is married to a horrible woman. She has been nothing but completely awful to me. She doesn’t even want my dad to see me. She sends me absolutely horrible texts all the time and leaves me devastating voicemails. But the point is I made rules for her so she wouldnt get up and ruin the wedding. I didn’t even want her there. But my dad wanted her there so I allowed her to come. She didn’t follow any of the rules then my dad didnt even care. She wore a navy dress which was special for the moms. Which is what I told my dad she could not wear. Then she took someones boutonniere and wore it. Even after I told my dad she did not get a flower. So one of the grandpas did not get one. I told my dad she was not to be in the pictures and he agreed. But I found out that my dad took the photographer aside and had her take pictures of just him, his horrible wife, and my brothers…does he not realize that I get those pictures….? I paid for the photographer to take pictures of my husband and I not them….
21. THE WORST OF ALL…..My mom. As I said before, she was 5 hours late to decorating which really messed up everything else with communication, 45 minutes late to the rehearsal, then….she got plastered at the dance and vomited all over the bathroom. She had to be brought back to the hotel. I had people coming up to me all night saying she was throwing up and making a fool of herself…..Then the next day she preteneded nothing every happened. I have not recieved an apology.
22. I was appoligizing for my family all night and the next day to my new in-laws. They are amazing people. Unfortunately they had to see my family. I cannot say how embarrased I truely am.
23. The hotel we had our reeption at charged us extra for several things. They charged us for unopened kegs, extra hotel rooms that did not get booked, twice for the honeymoon suite, extra meals, and twice for using the projector screen…..One good thing is that my mother in-law got it fixed!
I am crying thinking about all the things that went wrong. I spend so much time planning and making sure I had all the tools to fix problems and avoid them…..It just didnt work out the way it was supposed to. I am so happy to be married to my husband but I am so disappointed in our wedding. I thought it would be great but it was a disaster. We just got the videos from the wedding and my husband and I don’t even want to look at them. 🙁