- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2012
So I made a classic dumb bride mistake. I wanted a very specific kind of wedding dress (not white.) So I found someone to make it (cannot say who since we are still in the process and I don’t know what will happen – may come down to a legal issue).
Basically – it’s one of these online places that makes your dress (well, they have it made in China, though I was stupid and didn’t know that when ordering it – since thy have an actual STORE and it says nothing about the dresses being made in China)
Anyway – I ordered it in May – my wedding is in October.
I was supposed to see photos the last week of August, and had issues getting photos from the dressmaker. FINALLY got them two days ago – and the dress is CLOSE, but there is a SERIOUS issue with the skirt.
They are telling me they can re-drape skirt and send me photos in 5 days, and that I can still PROBABLY get my dress in time.
It’s my own damn fault for ordering from an online dressmaker – and I realize that.
I keep hoping it will all work out, but I started shopping for a backup dress just in case.
And I found one – and I absolutely LOVE it.
So now I have to make that crazy Sophie’s choice . . . do I go ahead and buy the backup dress?
My concern is, even if they fix the skirt and it looks nice – it’s still possible there will be shipping issues – or even that when it gets here, it won’t fit (since it’s custom made, it’s just hard to say) – or that it won’t look right – and if I get it RIGHT before my wedding, I won’t have time to alter it locally.
So worst case scenario, if I don’t buy the backup dress – is I end up with NO dress, 5 days before my wedding.
If I DO buy the backup dress – (which costs about the same as my FIRST dress = 1k each) – then basically I could end up with TWO Dresses and I’d be out 2k.
People tell me I can sell one or the other (particularly if they aren’t used)
But the first dress I ordered is VERY specific (read: NOT white)
The backup dress is white – and beautiful – but not a designer gown. So I don’t know how easy it is to sell dresses after the fact, particuarly the NOT white one.
So do I wait to see if this other dress shows up?
Or do I go ahead and suck it up, and spend the extra 1k for the peace of mind that if this other dress A) doesn’t show or B)shows but sucks, I will still feel beautiful on my wedding day?
I am so angry at myself for making such a classic stupid mistake. I should never have ordered from a “dressmaker” – and I should never have done it with less than 5 months before my wedding.
I had a dream dress I wanted (the non-white one) – and now I just feel sick because I have NO way of knowing if it will arrive on time (they say it will, but the lady is pretty vague and sometimes incredibly emotional and unprofessional) – or if it arrives, if it will fit right or look good on me.
I’m an idiot for leaving it up to chance.
But would I be a bigger idiot for spending another 1k on a SECOND dress?
And how easy is it to actually sell your dresses afterward? (Particularly if they are non-designer labels, off-the-rack OR non-traditional non-white?)
Sick to my stomach.