- 6 years ago
- Wedding: February 2013
Hello fellow Bees!
I’ve been lurking around these boards quite a bit the last few weeks and finally decided to join.
My entire wedding planning journey has been a miserable experience from the start; not even the engagement went to plan and we’ve never even celebrated it. With only 8 months between the engagement to the wedding, I haven’t had a lot of time. I’ll make other posts about various issues I’ve been having because on top it all, I feel so utterly alone. I’m American, but living in the UK. I’ve been over here off and on for several years, but never in the city I’m currently living in. I moved to this city to live with my FH, and haven’t really made any friends. So wedding planning has been really tough since I’m essentially on my own and don’t have anyone I can really talk to, other than online- but my friends in America and other parts of the UK can only really handle so much when it comes to wedding talk.
One of the biggest problems I’ve been having is the wedding dress. We don’t have a lot of money, especially since the day after we were engaged, I was unlawfully let go from my job and have found I have no recourse due to ridiculous UK labor laws about me working there less than a year.
So, I decided to get my dress online. I’m so glad I came here, because if I had gone with the site I originally was going to order from, I probably would be in an even worse situation (weddingdressonlineshop). But, before I get to that, here’s what happened.
- I decided to go to a bridal shop to try on a few dresses to get an idea of what styles looked good on me before ordering online. Everything I thought I wanted looked awful, and the princess dress I tried on as a joke ended up being THE DRESS… But it was £1900 (It’s the Tom Flowers Romance dress)
- I went online and found the exact dress in my size for sale on preloved.com for £700. Excitedly, I told my FH and he went berserk over the price still. So I wasn’t able to get the dress.
- I found it brand new in America by a different designer, thanks to this website (Mori Lee 2915) for only £400. However, by that point the dress wouldn’t be ready until 2 weeks before my wedding and I didn’t want to risk not getting it in time, especially since they wouldn’t ship it overseas and I’d have to get it delivered to my mom in America, then have her send it here.
- My mother offered to get me a dress, but everything she liked I hated, vice versa. She was making me feel so bad about my choices, I ended up getting a different dress on preloved.com that was a compromise between what we both wanted (Ellis Bridal 11089); travelled to the city to get it by myself, got hideously lost, and was so upset that I ended up buying the dress to get it all over with even though it was a size too small. My mother shortly afterward informed me she now hated it.
- The ickiness associated with this dress, it being too small, plus the insane cost to get it cleaned because it’s trashed, made me not want the dress anymore.
- With only a few months left to the wedding and a teeny budget, I started hitting sample sales. Very few dresses were big enough (I’m a US size 12/UK 14) and I wasn’t crazy about any of them. It was pretty depressing!
I was just about to give up when I saw on here how much everyone loves Jasmine’s Bridal. After spending some time emailing and chatting with them, I absolutely love their customer service. Now I’m in the process of ordering a dress from them, but I don’t have anyone to really help me pick one out. And of course, my mother hates everything I show her. I’ve finally ordered a base dress about an hour ago that they’re going to make changes to, but with all my mom’s negative input, I’m totally unsure what I want the changes to be.
I know at the end of the day, it’s MY dress and despite what my mom says and what my future mother in law has said about my choices (she went to the sample sales with me), I should pick what I want. Problem is, I have no idea what I want anymore, what will look good, and have no one I can talk to that isn’t totally negative about my choices!
I’m not necessarily asking any questions here, I think I just really needed to vent. This whole wedding has been a nightmare so far, and I guess I’m even more depressed because I thought the dress was supposed to be a happy fun bit.
Thanks guys. I’m really glad I have this place to turn to.