(Closed) Wedding in August 2010 – Weight loss/Timing of dress shopping?

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

When I went shopping everyone gave me a 9 month timeline!

6 months to order the dress and get it in and then 3 months for alterations!

I am in the same boat and want to lose a few pounds before I order the dress; however, I have already found my dress and now I am worried about them discontinue it – I check the website daily to make sure it is still up there!!!! I will probably order mine in october!

I would go to a local salon you think you will order the dress from and see what their timeline is!

Post # 5
307 posts
Helper bee

i am getting married in june. i got engaged back in april. i ordered my dress in may. it came in end of august. it is big in the top part so i have to get the boob area taken in. and i am getting the sides taken in so that the corset style is more of a v in the back. i am waiting til april to get the alterations done. this is what the store advised as they know most brides try to loose weight.

ask the store what they suggest.

Post # 6
4382 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Ceremony - First United Methodist Church; Reception - My parents' house!

you also don’t need to be at your goal weight to go dress shopping, if you’re willing to pay for alterations! :p

Post # 8
369 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Keep in mind seasons as well.  You can get this falls fashions much cheaper when they go on sale in the spring.  My dress is going to take about 6 months to come in if that helps you at all.  (Maggie Sottero)  All the brands are different though.  But you may find a sample dress somewhere you love and walk out with it the same day, so it’s kind of hard to say!

As for alterations, they don’t have to cost a fortune!! Try not to have them altered at the bridal store if you can help it.  My mom’s best friend is doing mine for free so I lucked out.  But if you can find a smaller shop, or someone that will do it out of their home you’ll probably pay a whole lot less.

Post # 9
1045 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2008

My only suggestion is please don’t buy a dress that’s too small for you, thinking that you’ll definitely lose the rest of the weight you want.  It doesn’t sound like you were going to do that, but I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about too-tight dresses! 

Alterations don’t have to be expensive.  I got my second dress altered with a local independent seamstress, and it was less than $140 for her to take it in two sizes (heavily beaded top), add sleeves, reduce the train, add a bustle, etc.

I ordered my dress in December, for my October wedding.  It came in in March, and I started alterations last month.  Some companies have longer lead times, though.  Have you been looking around for dresses that you like, in magazines and online?

Post # 10
1523 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I would also like to lose 35-40 pounds, but have decided to make 20-25 pounds my goal before the wedding.

I am getting married September 2010 and bought my dress a couple weeks ago. They ordered the size I am right now and the Bridal store said they could alter the dress down about 3 sizes (25 pounds). I am lucky because all alterations were included in the price of my dress.

I would try to ask about alterations on local bridal messageboards (the knot, wedding bee etc). A lot of ladies on my local knot board go to an alterations place that does good work, but is less expensive.

Personally, I would buy your dress at the weight you are now, or give yourself a date in which you will buy your dress, but don’t wait to long!

The topic ‘Wedding in August 2010 – Weight loss/Timing of dress shopping?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors