3721 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

That would be a hard pass for me.

Post # 4
2632 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

Tacky n gross charging admission!. A hard no from me, I would send an empty congrats card…

Post # 5
3093 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2021

Is this wedding in Quebec by any chance? 

As strange and tacky and weird as it seems to the rest of us, apparently this is actually normal in some parts of Quebec. 

If that is the case, my understanding is that a gift is not expected.

Post # 6
114 posts
Blushing bee

I would definitely not even attend a wedding like this… they’re asking you to pay for a party that they want to throw for themselves!

If you do go, just give a card. $100pp is more than enough!

Post # 7
47148 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I would happily send….

my best wishes.

Post # 9
3303 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2017 - City, State

Hahahaha! I’m not bankrolling a wedding I’m not starring in.

Post # 10
8725 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

darski73 :  I would probably decline. If you want to go and don’t mind helping to pay for their self-congratulatory party, I certainly would not give a gift on top of it. Who cares if a couple of tacky cheapskates think you’re cheap? You say they’re old friends, but are they good friends? 

Post # 11
4270 posts
Honey bee

I would pass, personally.  

If on the .00001% chance I actually felt obligated enough to do this, then they would get their $100, no more and no less.  That, in my opinion, is their gift.  You can have me bankroll your wedding or you can have a thoughtful gift that could have possibly been more than what you are charging admission for, but you can’t have both.

Post # 12
533 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2020 - Summer Camp!

Given the Quebec context, I would just give the $100. It’s cringe-y to me, but maybe that was normal in her family? If you’re feeling really generous, something small, cheap, and meaningful as well. 

Post # 13
744 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

I usually give a gift of $100 or more anyways. It’s odd that it would be an “admittance fee”… but crazy on the nose sboom about this being a wedding from Quebec!

Since this is a custom (and even if it weren’t) I’d include a card with the $100 if I attended. The fact that they asked for the money wouldn’t deter me from going. 

Post # 14
1259 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2018 - Location

I live near Quebec but  never heard of this. I would Put $100 in an envelope Since that’s the amount I usually give anyway. no gift.

I wouldn’t not attend for this reason as many others are suggesting but it does come across as tacky. Roll your eyes and move on

Post # 15
541 posts
Busy bee

If they’re asking $100 per guest, would this actually translate to $200 per couple? 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors