- 7 years ago
- Wedding: March 2011
I know a couple more girls here got married yesterday (including me), so I just wanted to say congratulations to my fellow day twins. Our wedding was a smashing success, other than the fact that it rained yesterday (and its sunny out today, boo!) But everything went like clockwork, my bouquet was a piece of art, the food was fabulous, and people were fighting over our centerpieces at the end of the day. And of course, I married my best friend. We are nowhappily ensconced in Napa Valley for our honeymoon and I can’t get over how fun it all was.
And for anyone else getting married soon, here are a few words of advice:
– Don’t flip out if things run a little late. I lost my patience a bit before the ceremony because we were 30 minutes behind for photos but everything went perfectly anyway and I regret being snippy at a few people on the way to the church.
– People kept telling me to find 5-10 minutes during the day to be alone. TOTALLY DO THIS. Most advise you to try and do it after the ceremony, but sometimes its not always feasible (it wasn’t for us). So the hubby (eek) and I sat in the bathroom of the church together for about 10 minutes BEFORE the ceremony to just relax and talk and be normal. Something about being decked out in a huge dress with makeup and hair extensions while sitting on a toilet made me so calm. Probably because I realized how ludicrous this all was.
– EAT at your reception. We greeted about half the tables before food was served and then SAT DOWN at our sweetheart table (oh yeah, have a sweetheart table) once the buffet service began. Our waitstaff brought us tasting plates of everything (including the appetizers we missed during the cocktail hour) and it was so nice to just eat and critique our food choices and be together. Also, it will keep you sane (I hadn’t eaten anything else all day).
– LEAVE after your reception. As much as your heart may want to, going out for drinks and partying with your out of town friends after the wedding when you’re already so exhausted may just backfire on you. I almost did it because I love my friends so much, but 24 hours later, I’m so glad we left for our hotel instead.
– Send everyone who’s helping you a thank you note/email BEFORE the wedding. You may be too busy to thank everyone in person during the day, so send a heartfelt letter beforehand. You will feel so much better during your honeymoon for it!
– Savor it. 🙂
Enjoy your day!