Post # 17
My parents are paying for a lot, so I have been open to suggestions.
But two of the things I am paying for, the DJ and the photographer, I am doing my way!! My mother started to tell me what kind of music to play, and I told her it is between me and my Fiance and we will decide. She warned me that I better not pick the wrong music or the whole wedding will be a FLOP!!!!
Does she really think I’m going to try to pick music nobody likes? So I told her we are going to play all polka 🙂
Post # 18
How any & everything related to weddings is at least 3x the fair market value. I have had it up to here with overpriced vendors that try to convince me that I should splurge with them because I’m worth it & it’s my big day.
Hello? I already know what I’m worth- and I don’t need a hefty price tag to prove it to anyone. I’ve stayed sane by not anchoring my heart to any idea or concept until I know how it fits into my budget.
Post # 19
Yes junk mail, especially from the formalwear shop I already booked at. They send stuff asking me to use them…HELLO – duh!
Aside from that, peoples constant "Calm Downs" and "DOn’t worries" yes, spoken with best of intention are highly aggravating and make me want to shake people. Do not make it seem like I’m over reacting when I am trying to please 200 guessts, cover 3 traditions, pay for party I can’t afford and hand make all my peper items. It’s a big deal, it’s are really big deal!
Especially when I just casually mention "Oh Bridesmaid or Best Man didn’t get the dress today" immidate "calm donw" like I’m going to blow or something.
Post # 20
My mother – Any time I ask her to do anything, she says she’ll do it, and after many, many reminders….she still doesn’t do it, and I have to do it myself.
My Maid/Matron of Honor – From what I can tell, she is extremely jealous of something, and is acting like a complete B**CH. She keeps making mean comments (but acting like she’s joking) and telling me that everything I want for my wedding is stupid, and how she would do it differently. She also says that I won’t let her do anything to help, but the one time she’s offered help, I said "Oh, yeah, we could really use some help assembling the invites". Her reply was "Oh, I never want to see another invitation again. I’ll tell you what, you don’t have to give me one…that should save you some time"
Anyways, I’m just letting it slide off my back, but those are my pet peeves.
Post # 21
My biggest pet peeves so far are the constant calls from vendors that got my phone number when I went to David’s Bridal and my mother and MIL–they keep saying, ‘Whatever you want is fine with us’…if that was the case, then why are they always telling me that we should do it their way??
Post # 22
I agree, thats the worst. "It’s your wedding, you can do it anyway you want to do it" That is, unless they disagree. My mother is actually pretty good with this, it’s my sister(MOH) that argues with me about everything.
Post # 24
Sorry , another one.Â
Â Â Â
Â Â Â People insisting that I want to " Feel like a princess." Nothing against princesses , but I’m not one . I want to feel like ME! Stop trying to put that dern tiara on me!!
Post # 25
-guests making me feel like a total evil witch for not having any children under 16 at the wedding.
-the fact that EVERYTHING costs a minimum of $1000.00
I think that is it for now…I still have 5 months to add to this list.
Post # 26
Where do I begin…
- The junk snail mails and emails
- The mention of the word "Wedding" and the prices doubles!
- Future Sister-In-Law,FGMIL
- Parents keep adding on their friends and keeps increasing our guestlist
- People keep asking both of us if we’re getting scared… We’ve been with eachother for 7yrs, seen eachother at our worst and best days… true colors… inside out… Dealt with financial issues but yes I’m scared.. WTH?!?!?
- Been asked why would you get married it’s just a really expensive stupid party.
- Comments to my FH: "GLuck… guess we won’t see you anymore" which I think is soooooooooo insulting especially since it’s from some loser that doesn’t even know me!
- Getting nasty comments when I mention Fiance will see eachother before the ceremony which I know don’t mention ever again… Nobody really needs to know
- FI’s family member who’s trying to take over my MOH’s duties eventhough she’s a billion yrs old and not even part of the bridal party!
I think that’s all for now… Maybe we should start a post with things we love about our big day
Post # 27
here’s the worst for me, FH’s friend constantly bringing up the stress of the wedding. i want to spray mace on him and tell him never to talk to me again. i keep trying to cut him from the list, but no luck
on a positive note, i love my dress!!!!
Post # 28
How about when everyone keeps asking us "when we are going to have kids?" and then when I say "not for 5 years or so" getting a reaction like I am a freak of nature because I don’t want to immediately pop out children. Why is it assumed that we are going to start having kids just because we are getting married?
Post # 29
– people who hassle me about changing my name. no, i don’t feel like i’m losing my identity.
– people who hassle me about having a diamond ring. yes, i love it. no, i don’t think of oppressed africans every time i look at it. have you checked the tags on your clothes lately? i can almost guarantee they were made in a sweatshop somwhere.
– people who hassle me about not wanting to hand address envelopes. my handwriting is wretched. if people feel like being invited to the wedding isn’t personal or thoughtful enough without handwritten ink, then hopefully they won’t come.
– people who say "just pay somebody to do it!" if you’re not going to give me the money, then keep your mouth shut.
– people who criticize ideas i’m excited about. i’m rapidly learning not to share wedding-related things i like with anybody. everybody’s got something negative to say.
– people who have the gall to suggest that because we’re having a civil ceremony our marriage is somehow less meaningful.
Post # 30
amysue: If you want a civil ceremony then go for it!
- How about people who keep asking you if they’re invited. I’m sure you all have had some of those. The worst is last year when I was at a FUNERAL for a 3yr old and this couple who happens to be FI’s sisters’ friend came up and asked us where’s their invite! How rude is that?! First of all you’re friends of my FH’s younger sisters (making your chances very slim for being on the GL) and second we were at a funeral… The last thing I want to think about is if you’re on our guestlist or not.
- People thinking about this event as some big house party. I’m not going to post fliers around the neighborhood. This is our wedding! If I don’t know you by first and last name there’s a slim chance you’re coming.
To be continued….
Post # 31
i agree about not wanting to share details…everyone has an opinion! (but then they get mad when you keep quiet)
also the dreaded guest list. people come out of the woodwork when you are planning a wedding! i have been very good about inviting people i know and interact with. FH has not and we cannot cut people from his list (his family’s wishes) so i point out constantly why we have to invite certain people. an example….FH’s stepmom says we have to invite so and so because it will hurt her feelings. well so and so is having a wedding for her daughter and we are not invited!!!!!! (not that i would want to go, but still) she wanted to keep her list small.