- 4 years ago
- Wedding: April 2015
We’ve been engaged for about 3 weeks. The more I search on these boards, the more overwhelmed I get about wedding planning, and we haven’t even set a date yet.
I need some advice with respect to my concerns.
Here we go…
1) Cost. We do not want a wedding with more than 50 guests, but care about quality of food and hope to be able to have it at a winery where they can cater their 4 course tapas tasting dinner. Still… I don’t see us being able to keep it under $10,000.
2) We won’t have a wedding party. However, my mom and brother, probably the only ones attending from my family since my father passed away 4 years ago, live in Europe, can’t really help out much. Maybe it’s for the better, but do we have to have a rehersal dinner/processional? Or should my fiance and I orchestrate everything on our own and have everyone else, including family be spectators?
3) As a result of no wedding party, I don’t think there will be anyone throwing me a bridal shower. Which I’m ok with, I feel uncomfortable coming up with reasons for my friends to bring me gifts. But should I organize my bachlorette party? I was envisioning a wine tour, but none of my girlfriends drink…
4) I’m debating between a wedding planner and a day of coordinator. I plan on doing most of the things myself – we are pretty set on the venue, we will ask one of our friends to be the photographer, and I hope the winery lets us bring the cake from the bakery we’ve chosen. Would a DOC be able to help me with things that a bride’s maid otherwise would? I really don’t want to have my mom there helping me get dressed, etc.
5) Do we really need an officiant? I was hoping my fiance and I could welcome everyone, say the vows, and then invite everyone to cocktail hour while we go have our photos taken. I feel like an officiant is such an overhead… (I haven’t asked my future husband what he thinks about this though…)
6) Do I need an MC or someone to run activities throughout the wedding reception? If so, I was going to have my brother do it. Say a few words, first dance. Or does the DOC do that?
7) Do guests need activities during the wedding reception? How do I figure out what’s appropriate?
8) Since this will be about 1.5 hours out of town, should we look for accomodations for our guests? Book town cars from the winery to their hotels? Ugh, if so, that would be so expensive…
To tell you the truth, I’m only excited about my dress, which I plan on designing myself by putting together several dresses. Hopefully I can find a good seamstress!
I have decided to forego most decorations – maybe have some Christmas lights/ candle center pieces that I plan on putting together myself and i also plan on making the invitations myself. No satin bows on chairs, no real flowers, etc.And I also no not plan on having a certain color scheme – everyone’s been asking me if I’ve made up my mind on the colors… I don’t think it matters.