(Closed) Wedding trends of 2011: the creative, the “seen it”, and the “i’m sick of it”…

posted 9 years ago in Themes
Post # 17
1227 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I *hope* gowns with see-through corsets are a fad that will pass soon. They do not do it for me AT ALL! (Sorry to any see-through corset gown girls – to each their own, right?)

Post # 18
230 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011 - Spring Grove Park & St. George Banquet Center

View original reply
@MrsMcGyro: See, I’m glad I’m Mrs. Bunting because 20 years from now when people look at my photos, I can completely justify all the bunting for personal reasons! I have no excuse for mustache props, though. Although strangely enough, most women seem to look really good with them.

Post # 19
3977 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

1. Vintage inspiration. Antique rings, 20’s flapper inspired gowns, fascinators, steampunk, veil bonnets, etc. I think it’s really pretty and effective a lot of the time.
  2. Mismatched anything. Not sure how new this is but I love it. Mismatched bridemaids, shoes, ties, chairs, plates, everything.
  3. Personal elements. Again I think this is awesome. Using a movie you love (Harry Potter/Batmans/etc.) or an activity (camping/reading/etc) or just something about yourself (teacher/chef/animal lover/etc) and incorporating elements into your decor.
  4. Casual choices. Tea length dresses, hair down, no veil, lawn games, jumpers, vests instead of suits, simpler food options, DIY anything (favors, makeup, centerpieces).

Also maybe I’m just seeing them all over but S’mores and pumpkins seem to be really big.

Oh wait! And how could I forget? The Peacock Wedding! Everyboday and their Maid/Matron of Honor having a peacock themed wedding. Sometimes it can be pretty but wow is it overdone!

Post # 20
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I went to a bridal shower this year and they did the candy buffet there instead of at the wedding. I liked this because they were able to use some homemade treats as well (i.e. chocolate dipped pretzels) because they were making for less guests. I’m not really a huge fan of the candy buffet because of how expensive they can get, I know you can do little cute candy favors for much cheaper!!

I do LOVE cake/dessert buffets, even though I think they are trendy right now. I don’t think my kids are going to look at pictures and cringe like I do when I look at my parents wedding pics (totally 70s, the guys were wearing frilly shirts and the bmaids had different colored pastel dresses!)

Post # 21
5089 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
@Loribeth: I don’t think anyone ever claimed strapless gowns were original – they’ve been the dominant type of dress for at least a decade! It’s changing now, but there are still WAY fewer options non-strapless dresses.

I like a lot of the trends, although I didn’t do them: candy bars, cake/dessert buffets, rustic themed, etc. The one trend I did do was have colored shoes, but I also had a dress with colored detailing that they matched, so it wasn’t the standard all white dress/pop of color shoes.  (Although I love that look.)

The one trend I’m not a fan of is the dropped-waist dress. Some women can pull it off, but I don’t think it’s flattering on most body types.

ETA: Oh, and another thing that I think will be very 2010-2012 is the one-shoulder dress. I think those look nice.

Post # 22
925 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
@kala_way: yes, peacock weddings are EVERYWHERE

I also agree with all of you who said MUSTACHES. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Thought it was fun at first but now I’m definitely over it.

Other trends that will come and go: bunting (yes, I’m doing it but it’s cute), sparkly shoes, halo rings, candy tables, mismatched Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses, short bridal gowns (even though some are REALLY cute), crazy hair accessories (again, some are cute but some will look really dated in years to come).

As strange as it sounds, I’m going to say lots of lace on dresses. I know there will always be lace wedding dresses but it seems to be HUGE right now (thanks, Kate).

I also think belts/sashes/flowers around the waist of bridal gowns will come and go.

For guys, I think gray tuxes are going to look dated. I wanted them but my Fiance made the comment that they may end up being the “powder blue tuxes of the 70s.” I still love them but he had a point, plus I think guys look sexy in black tuxes.

There are a ton I can think of but these are the big ones, I think. I don’t see anything wrong with any of them, though, because that is what makes your wedding a 2011 wedding (or whatever year it happens to be in). If we tried to make all of our weddings timeless they would all end up looking the same and boring. It’s these little fun elements that make them unique and fun to look back on. Who cares if your kids will make fun of your dress–you like your dress NOW and who knows what crazy trends they will end up with!

Post # 23
325 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Texture Skirts are to 2011 as Poofy sleeves were to the 80’s. 

also the mustache trend… just strange. Candy buffets, invites with the “bells on” responses, mason jars, milk glass also pairing yellow and grey.  

I am not saying I dislike any of these they are just super trendy right now.

Post # 24
4410 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Savannah, GA

View original reply
@mightywombat:  At some point strapless gowns were original… That’s why they became so popular and why everyone wanted one, because they were different. The designers picked up on that trend and started making a lot of them to meet the demand for them. Once all the designers started making them, they stopped being original. 

Post # 25
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Chocolate fountains and BIRD CAGES!!!

Overdone in my opinion…but to each his own.

Post # 26
894 posts
Busy bee

What is bunting????

Post # 27
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Bunting is the streamers of colourful flags – like what you would see on the outside of a used car lot. Cute, and definitely trendy for 2011.

Post # 28
6511 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
@kala_way: “Everybody and their MOH” – I see what you did there 🙂

Post # 29
6511 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’d say mason jars and bunting, though I may very well do the latter!

Post # 30
1679 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
@kryje003: Agreed!  Textured skirts and mustaches sum it up for me.  The more mainstream wedding gown companies needed a year to develop their answer to the Sunday Rose and Bijou gowns.  Now they are everywhere!

I hate the mustaches so much that I started a Pinterest board of the picture so I couldn’t be so annoyed at finding them.  Now, I see it as a way to add to my board. 🙂

Post # 31
1115 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I agree with a lot of stuff already posted…especially the rustic/Anthropologie style wedding. And also super washed out photography.

Which is pretty much every wedding featured on Style Me Pretty. I used to looooove ogling all the pics over there. They are all still gorgeous weddings/photos, don’t get me wrong. But it’s kind of boring now as every last one of them all look like carbon copies of each other.

The topic ‘Wedding trends of 2011: the creative, the “seen it”, and the “i’m sick of it”…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors