(Closed) Wedding under $7500

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 3
4495 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Ours will be under $7500 (not including the honeymoon). We’re able to do this by having a small wedding with only around 50 guests. We’re also getting married on a Thursday so we’ve gotten discounts from our vendor, photographer, caterer, DJ and lighting company. We didn’t choose Thursday for cost purposes – I really would have preferred a Fri, Sat or Sun, but we don’t meet the minimum headcount that our venue has for those days.

Post # 4
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Ours was under 6,000 (also not including honeymoon). We had around 100 guests. There were a number of ways we saved money: Ceremony and reception held out in the country at a ranch ($400 for 2 days), I bought a silk gown from Jcrew ($300), a good friend of mine from art school was the photographer ($500), I baked the wedding cakes ($200), I letterpressed the stationery ($200), Father-In-Law built the tent, we self-catered the wedding and asked certain guests to bring our favorite dishes, no officiant and no wedding license (legal in KS), husband was the DJ, no bridesmaids or groomsmen, I did my own hair and makeup, etc. We basically pared down the wedding to what we considered the essentials (this is different for everyone) and then did what we could/wanted to do ourselves and got others to handle the rest. Having fewer guests is always the easiest way to bring down the cost of a wedding.

Post # 6
361 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’m not under 7500, but I will be having almost 300 guests for 10,000… and a lot of my stuff is DIY.  But, I also SHOPPED, SHOPPED, SHOPPED! And we finally decided, it would just be cheaper to have the ceremony and the reception at our house (we have two acres on a river). I am trying my best at getting discounts, or “friendors.”  My photography is a colleague of mine, and she gave me a discount just for that, AND a discount for doing both the engagment pictures and wedding.  My officiant is a child hood family friend.  My Future Father-In-Law and FH are doing the pig roast.  My lunch ladies will be serving the food (I will be “hiring” them). We are for-going favors, mostly because we are providing a shuttle, all food and all drinks for our guests. My dress was on sale, and I am anticipating buying the groom’s ware at Kohls… love discounts!

Post # 7
633 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Have you considered bartering for services? We did this with our venue…Fiance is an experiences contractor, so he did a lot of painting, repairs, etc for our venue when they were first opening, so they are taking what they would have paid him off of our bill…$1000. 

If you, your Fiance, or a family member have a skill, you can trade for money off or even for a complete service. Smaller business around me do this a lot…it could be work like my Fiance did, or web design, etc…

Heck, a few years ago, a couple near me got their entire wedding for free by ‘advertising’ each vendor at the wedding.

Post # 8
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@DeeWee:  

Our wedding is simply 8 days away. Our orignal budget was $11,000 with 150 people. We hve been able to knock that down to $6,000 and then $5,000. Our final budget is only $4,250 with 170 People expected. How? By doing research, bargin shopping and a lot of DIY. The biggest expense is the photographer at $885 for the full package. Catering was an iffy. We were going to hire someone, but I couldn’t see myself spending $4000 for that so we knocked that down to 1500 by catering ourselves…. That 1500 came down to only 100. HOW? We had so many people who had offered to help us however we needed it…. FOOD it is… and they are so HAPPY to do so. My dress was only 325 with alterations… orgianlly prices was 1250 just for the dress, but got it for 198 on clearance last October. I have two children who are also in the wedding, so their attire is also accounted for. Now, for the rings. I am not a traditional jewlry girl… although i love bling. My ring was found for only $170 on clearance and is not a “bridal” ring but a gorgeous blue saphire surrounded by diamonds. I found that anything with the “Bridal” or “Wedding” name to it is going to be way more expensive than normal. Do your homework and research…. takes time, but well worth the savings.  Also I found that it was cheaper to purchase all of the linens and chair covers than renting them… After the wedding, they will be cleaned and then sold for half of what I paid for them. To rent them it was going to be $895 not including delivery and or set up… I paid $549 by purchasing the.

Post # 9
527 posts
Busy bee

At our wedding 4 years ago, we spent about $2500.

Venue – we used our church, free, then the reception was at my parents house.  Our pastor was also free.

Flowers – DIY, spent about $150 on flowers at the LA flower district

Cake – my aunt made it as our gift

Food – my uncles BBQ’d chicken, and we had a variety of sides that my aunts made.  I paid about $500 for all the food.

Drinks – did lemonade, tea, and water

Dress – I sewed my own dress. 🙂  I spent like $200 on material.

Decor/invites – all DIY, about $700

Rentals – about $600 for tables, chairs, linens, and china

Photographer – $800, got someone off Craigslist 😉

It was a lovely wedding, but very low budget.  Most of my friends spent WAY more money on their weddings, since they were out of college for a couple years and had job and could put money towards the wedding!

Post # 10
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Hi! So $7500 is a dream budget for me! So I’m sure you could do it. Right now we’re having about 125 people and (not including the dress) our budget is $1000 tops!

You have to figure out what part of the wedding is most important to YOU-splurge on that!

Honestly, most wedding supplies are ridiculously expensive just because suppliers know that most brides don’t know any better than to look at unconvential places. You need linens? DO NOT go to an event rental place! Either DIY (fabric is way cheaper) or rent them from a local hall. You can always rent cheap overlays to put over it!

If your not super picky about a photographer, find one that lends out their assistant for cheap! They are still really good and half the price!

For alcohol, don’t have an open bar. Have a couple of your favorite drinks pre-made and have some beer and wine.

Do flower arrangements yourself or just ask for basic flower arrangements and jazz them up by yourself afterwards. It’s ridiculous what people pay for flowers!

Post # 12
749 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Were under 7500 or right at it!!! 130-150 people.. ceremoney and reception at my parents house… BARGAIN shop for everything (dress 350, DIY Save the dates, and Invitations).. very small wedding party (MOH and BM). Friend is officiating. Beer and wine only for the bar. Our high school has an agg dept so they are doing flowers for 250.. Called in A LOT of favors.. Photos are being done by a photographer friend.. $800 for engagement and day of..alll day including disk and photo book! Dads friend is catering bbq $400 for BBQ 2 choices pluss 2 sides and snacks for the cocktail hair. Brothers Girlfriend is doing my hair..

Just gotta get creative! 🙂  

Post # 13
340 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Estimate for my 70 guest wedding

Dress bought online : sample LaSposa/Pronovias for $250
Alterations: $200
Ceremony $700 Garden venue which includes chairs
Venue: Lunch reception at an Italian resturant party room $3000 no bar just wine
Flowers: $800 ($300 for potted orchid plants and $500 for bouquets, boutonnieres
Dj: Free gift
Favors: Cupcakes $80
Table Linen/Sash: $130
Photographer: $1500
Cake/cupcake: $350
Invites/STD: DIY $200

By making it a lunch reception we save about $25 per plate per person( $27 vs $50)  and no need for heavy drinking at noon. The venue included the tables,chairs and basic linen so that saved the need to rent.

Post # 14
3297 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - An amazing non-profit retreat

My budget so far looks like this:

Reception for 70: $2300

Ceremony venue: Included in the $2300

Officiant: Free (so far)

Photography: Free (couple of bottles of wine)

Bar tab: No clue yet (oops)

Music for ceremony: DJ- $600 for the full day

My dress: $200 plus $150 for alterations

Bridesmaid dresses x 3: $50 each

Favours: $50

Flowers: $620

Post # 15
720 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Do I understand that you guys are covering the bridesmaid/groomsmen/flowergirl attire? Usually everyone in the bridal party buys their own attire, it’s pretty traditional. I think most bridal party members would be shocked to have the bride pay for that! If so, that would take out $700+ out of your budget. Also, if I had to cut one more thing it’d be live music for the ceremony, unless you’re REALLY set on that.

Post # 16
3297 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - An amazing non-profit retreat

I bought the bridesmaids dresses, but they will be paying me back…they won’t let me cover their dresses, but I happily would.

The topic ‘Wedding under $7500’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors