Post # 1
So I was going to have my wedding at my childhood farm because my mother and step father still own it. They put it on the market early this summer just to see if they got any offers on it. They only got about 5 showings and the listing was due to expire September 30th at midnight and if they didn’t sell it during that time they would just stay indefinitely. So we’re thinking ok, the farm is going to be off the market and we’re good to go for the wedding. 8pm on September 30th, a family puts an offer in for $4k less than asking price, so my mom and step dad take it obviously. They’ve been trying to sell the farm for at least 2 years and they are ready to move and buy their own home together (my mom and dad raised my brother, sister and i at the farm and since they’re divorced, my mom and step dad would like to not live there anymore which is understandable) Now I knew that this was a possibility when it was put on the market but since there wasn’t any interest I really didn’t think it would happen so having the offer put in and accepted kind of sucker punched everyone (mom, step dad, brother, sister). They are set to close on Halloween so pending appraisal, it will officially be sold. So there is room for something to go wrong but I don’t see that happening. My mom is a real estate agent herself and has had the farm appraised many times so she very much knew the value of it.
So, like I said, we are starting over now and looking for a new venue and I have found that just from emailing places last night…there aren’t many open saturdays in october for next year….
I’ve been doing good but have had mini freak outs every once and awhile especially when another venue doesnt have a saturday available as well as because my childhood home is being sold. I was really looking forward to having pictures done in my old room and all that. I’m sure I’ll get over that but right now its still a fresh wound of sorts.
Anyway, sorry for the rambling but just needed to get all that out there and off my chest a bit.
My mom also offered to pay whatever facility fee our new venue has since all this was so unexpected which is beyond nice of her to do.
Post # 2
Ahh that’s stressful! Where are you looking to get married? I know you mentioned you visisted Omaha, I wasn’t sure if you were from around here!
We sorta had a venue swept out from underneath us as well (definitely not at the same level as your situation though); we spent 4-5 weeks in contact with the wedding coordinator, visited it twice, discussed the contract…all I needed to do was have him send us the contract for me to sign and pay the deposit. I emailed him on a Monday to to get that taken care of, and he replied that someone else put a deposit down Sunday for our date.
I was scrambling and at a total loss at first because we were already less than 9 months out from our wedding and since we’re in the midwest, prime wedding season is short and books early. But you know what they say, when a door closes, a window opens. We were able to book the most BEAUTIFUL venue in town with the best caterer in town (or so we’re told) within days. We hadn’t even toured it before because I thought it was out of our price range. So things could not have worked out better. Hopefully you find something even better than what you were imagining!
Post # 3
I’m sorry! We were originally supposed to get married at my mother in law’s house and with 8 months to go she changed her mind. So I understand how stressed and bummed you are. We ended up finding an amazing new venue about a couple weeks later. We changed our ~vision~ somewhat and had to be flexible with a new date as well, but we loved it so much more and truly believe it was for the best.
I would suggest maybe taking a day or two to just let yourself feel all these different emotions before getting back to planning. And just know that no matter what, everything will work out. Good luck!
Post # 4
Do you think that the new seller might allow you to rent it for the day if you explain the situation? Obviously, you may not get the photos in your room – but I can’t really see them saying “no”.
Post # 5
pumilionis: We actually live out here (Fremont right now) but are both from Illinois which is why we are having the wedding there. But I may start looking out here just to see what there is. Luckily we have a year but like I said I’ve noticed that many places back home are already booked up for saturdays in october.
Post # 6
SkinnyLatte17: Small world! I live in Council Bluffs and commute to Lincoln every day. If you decide to start looking here for venues, let me know, I did a ton of research in the Omaha and a little of the surrounding area when we were looking!
Post # 7
Thanks so much ladies! I did think about asking if we could have the wedding there still but after a few days of talking things over with my Fiance we decided we’re going to cut our guest list down dramatically (like from 140 to less than 40) and we are going to get married either at the court house or somewhere easy (a park or something) then we’ll have our reception at a place in Chicago called Tommy Guns Garage.
It’s a dinner/show set up like a 1920’s speakeasy and I bought tickets for Fiance and I for Valentine’s Day a few years ago. Since my Fiance and I both love the 20’s gangster/Gatsby era, we thought it’d be perfect! He also was telling me that the thought of standing in front of a ton of people to get married just streses him out and so we decided that since the day is about us getting married we’re gonna do something we’re both comfortable with and I seriously couldn’t be more excited!!!!! We can get married and just show up to Tommy Guns, enjoy the show, dinner and a 3 hour open bar with our family and friends (it wont be a private event but I’m totally okay with that) until 9:00pm and then we can continue the party in Chicago or call it a night! 🙂
I was originally going to get a tea length 1950’s style dress because I do love that era as well but since its going to be at a speakeasy, I am totally taking advantage of Maggie Sottero’s 1920’s vintage style dresses!!! Woohoo!!