(Closed) Weddings & IBD (Crohn’s, Colitis) Are there any brides out there?

posted 7 years ago in Emotional
Post # 4
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I don’t but I know a friend of mine who does, although I haven’t heard her talk about it in relation to her wedding.  I’ll have to ask her about it and get back to you.

Post # 5
1325 posts
Bumble bee

Hey! Im not getting married (I’m still a waiting bee) but I do have very persistent Crohn’s and I’m missing my entire large intestine because of it. These sort of diseases usually end up ruling the person who has to deal with them, so I have thought about what I’m going to have to do in the future.

Questions like “Will I be able to make it to a bathroom? Will I have bathroom privacy? What if I’m severely bloated? (due to intestinal swelling) What if I get extremely sick from the stress?” are all valid questions! Personally, I’m worried about how I’m going to be able to use the bathroom. Some days my Crohn’s is so bad I have to use the restroom every 2 hours! Usually brides need help with their wedding dresses to use to restroom, right? So….. am I going to have to undress every time I want to use the restroom and then have someone dress me back up!? That’s kind of ridiculous!

I really think that you should talk to your doctor about a wedding plan since I’m sure that they provide help for Crohn’s patients for special occasions regularly.

What kind of specifics are you worried about?

Post # 8
1325 posts
Bumble bee

Hmmm let’s see.

Well what is the bathroom situation at your reception sight? Where are the bathrooms located in relation to the party?

Also, if need be I’m sure no one would notice after dinner if you slipped off to use an off site bathroom. Brides do have to check out for a bit to use more deodorant or pee or touch up their hair and makeup. Just come back, pretend like you used the regular one. This seems like a hassle so it would probably be best to figure out how to use the one at the reception.

As far as the bloating, obviously take the best care you can of yourself (which you’re probably already doing) but talk to your GI doctor about that and see what they say. It will depend on what the bloating is from (in your case a stricture) and I’m not sure what to do about that.

Lastly, about how to go to the bathroom. I think the easiest fix for this is a second dress. Traditional wedding dresses are cumbersome. Even simple ones usually need a 2nd person to do up the back. So I think an easy fix would be to buy a cute cocktail dress that isn’t a hassle to deal with. You can even find sparkly white ones for different prices. Find one you can just hike up and go. lol

Post # 10
1325 posts
Bumble bee

I am so happy to help. I can truly sympathize with these issues!

I’m glad your doctor is working with you. I personally would have mine on speed dial. 🙂

I’m still brainstorming about the bathrooms. You said there are several of them? Are they single use ones or multiple person ones? If they are multiple person ones you could make a cute sign that says something like “occupied” and hang it on the outside really quick before locking the whole bathroom from the inside. Then you could have the whole multiple person bathroom to yourself!

If they are single person bathrooms and you are worried about noise, my trick…Too Much Information here, is to go while I flush. I know… strange. When I do this (depending on how powerful the toilet is) any noise I make just sounds like water flushing noises.

Also, since odor can be an embarrassment as well, I recommend getting a bottle of odor eliminator of some kind. Not a scented air freshener, but one that breaks down odors. Sometimes they can leave strange after smells so I would experiment. Then transfer this into a cute small travel sized bottle that you can keep somewhere like your hand bag. Heck, maybe you can put a regular bottle in the bathroom baskets, if you are doing them.

Post # 12
6351 posts
Bee Keeper

I have IBS not IBD but I have similiar worries 🙁

Best of luck on your big day!

Post # 14
6351 posts
Bee Keeper

Oh I swear by Oust or Febreeze for getting rid of the smell after.

Post # 15
424 posts
Helper bee

My Fiance has Crohn’s (has had it for about 15 years; diagnosed when he was 13 and has had 2 resections) so I’m also worried about how he’ll be feeling the wedding day.  I have a feeling that you’ll be sooo busy and it won’t really be on your mind…and if you have to use the bathroom, don’t worry about it.  Brides are always mingling and MIA most of the time…no one will even question where you are!

The topic ‘Weddings & IBD (Crohn’s, Colitis) Are there any brides out there?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors