(Closed) Weddings & IBD (Crohn’s, Colitis) Are there any brides out there?

posted 11 years ago in Emotional
Post # 16
248 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I agree with Hillzie, I really don’t think people will notice if you are gone for a while.  So take your time in the bathroom 🙂  Even if you have to get up during dinner people probably wouldn’t notice and if they did they may think you are doing something picture related, etc.  I have ulcerative colitis so I’m having a lot of the same worries as you.  Right now, everything is under control, I’m just hoping that as the wedding gets closer, the stress won’t make me flare up 🙁

Also agree with everything Tunacupcakes said.  A different dress for the reception could be helpful?  But if that’s not possible cause of financial restraints maybe you could practice lifting your dress yourself like you are going to the bathroom.  And I obviously don’t know your whole history, but from my experience (sorry TMI) I would recommend to bring some extra panties and anything else you may need just in case?  Although you did say your parents how was close so that’s good.

Good luck and relax!  Hope everything goes well! 🙂

Post # 18
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I have IBS not Crohns. I am worried about my wedding day because nerves ALWAYS set me off in addition to new foods or that lovely time of month where it flares up. For me, I basically eat imodium when I have flare ups- the small pill ones, the extra-strength ones don’t work at all I’ve found. Weird that they don’t. & pepto-bismol does nothing. I know it’s silly for me to say that these work when I know most people need prescription medication for help. I actually missed the first half of my sister’s rehearsal dinner last year because I had to drive all the way home to use the bathroom and then go back b/c I left the church early and met them at her husband’s house later. I just looked like a floozy sister. Yea I went all the way home b/c I have a fear of having a ‘stomach ache’ in front of anyone possibly using the bathroom as the same time as me. And now my wedding is a year later and my sister is missing my rehearsal b/c she is in the Air Force and can only come home one day.

I know I’m not much help but I would have your close friend go with you when you leave the room and say you were fixing your dress or taking pictures if you are worried about it! People will be understanding!

Post # 19
52 posts
Worker bee

I just wanted to add that how lovely our fiances/future husbands/ husbands are for being so understanding of having these health issues! Or at least I hope they are! My fiance actually proposed to me when I was sick. I was laying in bed between my trips to the bathroom and he said that he wanted to take care of me for the rest of my life no matter what even when I’m sick/or having tummy aches! (My family growing up and still now always know what me having a ‘stomach ache’ means- I don’t know if this is the same for you girls!)

Post # 21
3260 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I just realized we are date twins, and IBD twins too. I have ulcerative colitis and although it’s fairly under control thanks to remicade, I still worry about my wedding day because we all know what stess does to someone with IBD.

Also I’m getting pretty good at “self solving” on my bad days with some immodium or pepto to keep it all in check. Being nervous is what is worrying me. I am a pretty shy person and just thinkingt about walking down the aisle makes me squirm which turns your stomach upside down. I’m sure we’ll make it through though! PM

Post # 22
14 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I just wanted to say I think you are all brave and strong and until you have been down this road you have no idea what is involved. My daughter has severe gastroperesis and SMA (they are talking colon removal at this point) and its so good to see how you help each other out and share tips. Hope all of your wedding days are amazing!!!

Post # 23
622 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

My dad had Crohns & Ulcerative Colitis around 13 & had an illiostomy done at age 14-15…. he still had this to this day & it was recently moved from left side to right… so I do understand how worried you all must be! I dont think I have any advice for you that you havent been given… but I’m sorry that you lovely ladies have to deal with a situation like this (no one should) and I pray that everything goes PERFECT on your day!

Post # 24
3260 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Oh and when I visited my venue for the first time they showed me the bridal suite which can be locked from the inside (the whole suite!) it has a giant private bathroom so I can stash a bag of emergency supplies and take all the time I need. Maybe ask your venue if they have a more private bathroom somewhere in the building? Like a separate handicap washroom (some days it sure feels like a handicap!)

Post # 25
10 posts
Newbee

I’ve been on Remicade for the past 1.5 years and haven’t had a flare the entire time!  I used to have one every 6-8 months before Remicade.  I was diagnosed with Crohn’s about 10 yrs ago. I’ve so enjoyed not being sick, but it’s definitely always in the back of my mind, “when is it going to come back?” Because, as we all know, it always does! 

Perhaps a massage would help your stress levels. Try to focus on your health and happiness. Your wedding guests will just have to understand.

Post # 26
831 posts
Busy bee

@ebreese: You are SO lucky your Crohn’s goes into remission. Mine isn’t eating holes in my swollen intestines yet, but it just will NOT calm down! I’ve been flared up for the last year and 1/2 straight.

I have one more month for my pentasa to sooth my gut or the doctor says I will have to be put on more serious therapy. =/

View original reply
@MrsSawyer: They also may have a “family” rest room OP could have all to herself.

View original reply
@emersynsmommy35:Wow… your poor dad. I’m just praying that I never have to have an ostomy again since it was so traumatic for me.

View original reply
@pinkdiamonddolly: I’m also sorry to hear about your daughter! I don’t have a single inch of my large intestine left and you can live without it! Surgery is hard (I’ve had 4!), but I’m sure eventually she will be ok.

Post # 27
Hostess
2683 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Wow, I came VERY close to losing my dad to Chron’s last year (spent at least 8 months inpatient out of 12 last year all added up) before he had his final resection and illesotomy put in. The thing is, I don’t care that he has Chron’s. I don’t care how many times he has to excuse himself or any of that stuff. I just care about my dad, and I’m happy I still have him after everything.

Do you ladies get where I’m going with all of this? I’m not telling you not to worry, or to prepare, because I know you will do both of those. The point is, you’re having a wedding where people love you. ALL of you. They’re happy to celebrate with you, and no one will care what bathroom you use or how long your gone. They’ll just be happy to have the privledge of celebrating with you on a really important day. 

And even in the wost case scenario, there’s nothing wrong with politely telling someone to “shove it.”

Post # 29
250 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

OMG, happy to see this thread. I am recently engaged and when me and Fiance were discussing venues one of the top things on my list was RESTROOMS. Where they are? How close are they? And are they private? I have a currently undiagnosed GI condition and stressful situation make it even worse. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll be in a good state come the wedding. Also have to find a dress that will make things easier too.

Post # 30
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Ugh I totally remembered feeling like that. I have Celiac Disease and went undiagnosed for 5 years. I would get “sick” 4-6 times a day. We are having an all gluten free wedding: gluten free cake, gluten free catering, gluten free drinks. I am so excited! One of my Gi’s gave me Prevacid a few years back after and endoscopy. While it didn’t fix the problem, it did decrease the inflammation in my digestive tract. Also, you might want to try avoiding anything hard to digest that day like high fiber foods, dairy, fatty foods, and drink plenty of fluids so you don’t get dehydrated. That would be my best guess. Hope it helps. Good Luck!

The topic ‘Weddings & IBD (Crohn’s, Colitis) Are there any brides out there?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors