(Closed) Weight-Loss & Clothes buying question… advice, please!

posted 7 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

I’ve gained and lost a lot of weight in the past due to medications and pregnancy. When I’m unhappy with my wardrobe, I just go to a thrift store or Ross and buy some new pieces. You don’t have to buy a whole new wardrobe, just a few staples. I love Plato’s Closet b/c it’s cheap and they have nice, trendy clothes. Also, I try to buy things that will fit at different sizes. If I’m buying a skirt, I’ll try to buy an elastic one instead of a zipper b/c it will fit me longer if I gain or lose.

Post # 4
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

you should always have a wardrobe for your current size. plenty of women put off buying new clothes until they lose weight, but bad clothes just make you feel bad about your body, and then you’re less likely to keep exercising and eating healthy because you get a “screw it” attitude.

if you don’t want to spend a lot, shop at target or marshalls. but you really should get some clothes for the size you are right now!

Post # 5
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Salvation Army. Seriously. Preferably in a “good” section of town. Dresses for $5-$7, sweather and tops even less. I honestly get more compliments on the Salvation Army stuff than I get from the clothes I buy that are brand new!

Post # 6
767 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

This hasn’t really happened to me, but I’d say you should buy at least a few pieces for your current weight. You need to feel good in your body, and you should show off your weight loss, even if you’re going to keep losing! Like artbee said, just go to a thrift store, or somewhere inexpensive like OldNavy. Check the sales racks, or look online. 

Post # 7
46333 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Check out thrift and consignment shops. You need to have clothes that fit or you will feel “schlumpy”(made that up I think) instead of feeling good about yourself.

Post # 8
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Pick up a few new pieces–they’ll make you feel good. In the meantime, maybe you can find ways to work with what you have. You can have some of the stuff tailored for cheap or belt all your baggier shirts.

The topic ‘Weight-Loss & Clothes buying question… advice, please!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors