(Closed) Weight Loss & The Dress

posted 7 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
2859 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden

I lost about 20 pounds after ordering my dress. When I went to pick it up, it was huge. Luckily, there was time for them to return it and order a size down again, but I’ve lost 5 more pounds and still have four months left. I hope it’s not too big again.

Post # 4
435 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I said I was going to lose 5, instead I gained 5 and had to have my privacy thing behind the corset moved over.  I think that 20 pounds/size is way off!

I had the best intentions with weight loss but I was very stressed about the wedding and stuffed my face to deal with it.

Post # 5
601 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

It’s typically 10/15 lbs to drop a dress size. I am kind of on her side. A lot of brides do get caught up in wedding planning that they don’t have a lot of time to focus on exercise. You do have a little while to work on yourself tho. Good Luck!!

Post # 6
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I would stick with that dress for now and if you lose a lot of weight, then you will need to look at another dress but you don’t want to stress yourself out buying a dress that doesn’t fit you now.

They can usually alter down a few sizes so you might be okay losing some more weight.

Post # 7
601 posts
Busy bee

MissAsB is right. A seamstress can take a gown two sizes without it looking like it’s been butchered.

Post # 8
1315 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I suppose you could see how you’re going by mid march or so – that would still give you pretty much 6 months, if you found you needed another dress…

Post # 9
171 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I had the exact problem your describing – when I bought mine I got it from a sample sale so it was already too big. I asked told the sales lady that I wanted to lose more weight and if it would be a problem getting it altered. She assured me that it would be no problem. Fast foward until 6 weeks until the wedding and 30 lbs later… I went to 3 bridal stores and they all told me that the dress was too big and that they wouldn’t be able to take it in without it looking altered. I was so crushed! But I called the bridal store where I got it to explain my concerns (since I specifically asked if it would be ok and they assured me it would be) and they told me to go to one of the seamstresses they recommend. I went – and they were able to take it in for me and the dress looked AMAZING!! I can’t remember how many inches they had to take off, but it was like 4 dress sizes. So I guess my advice would be to just make sure that you are going to a seamstress that knows what they are doing and that you feel confident in. Not everyone that says they alter wedding dresses is able to do it when the alterations are really complicated. But I know it turned out great for me – I had the dress I loved and that I looked great it 🙂

Post # 10
174 posts
Blushing bee

I would wait to make the purchase… you have time!

Post # 11
3295 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

for me about 15 – 20 lbs is a dress size…. everyones different tho… im very proportionate and even if that makes any sense… so it take more weight for me to lose a size… whereas if you were apple shaped if you lost 10 lbs itd prolly = a size because of where the weight is. i have lost about 15 lbs since i bought my dress but im not too worried… thats what alterations are for right 🙂

Post # 12
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I bought my dress and then started losing weight. I specifically asked when I bought it what would happen if I lost a significant amount of weight.. they informed me since it was a corset back they could go down about 4 sizes but also said not to worry because chances of that happening were slim. They said most brides gain. SO I ordered my size then. I’ve lost 16 pounds since then and I get fitted for my dress in July. If I keep going the way I am going, I could possibly lose up to 35 pounds before then. They havent seen me since I bought my dress. I hope they realize I was serious. 

Post # 13
1747 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@Tisty1982: Please tell me how you lost 30 pounds. I need help!

The topic ‘Weight Loss & The Dress’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors