(Closed) We’ve spent $5300 and they still don’t know what’s wrong with my cat

posted 11 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
14181 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’d be pissed. SO PISSED. I know vets offices work with you–you spent all that money, they were “100% sure” and they were wrong. Seriously. How is that right? I’m not sure if that’s just “how it is” but see if you can talk to the clinical manager–this guy ASSURED you it needed to be done immediately (versus waiting for your regular vet) and you were persuaded, only to find out it was false. See if they can knock some of their overhead costs off it.

Take baby kitty to your regular vet. Seriously i am seething for you. I spent thousands getting rid of a nasty case of ringworm and almost had to fight a lawsuit for my little orange baby. And I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

PS i have a photo of mine chewing on a pineapple, too. Maybe they were separated at birth.

Chin up and fight. Maybe they’ll reduce some of the costs since it was all completely utterly uselss and they told you you HAD to do it this way.

Post # 4
5262 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m so sorry, that’s awful. I don’t know what to tell you other than that I’m thinking of you and your boy, and I hope that you find something out soon. It seems weird that your vet was so sure of the blockage and there was none at all? 

Do you have any other cats? Be very careful, because Future Sister-In-Law runs a rescue out of her house, and I know how quickly those diseases can spread. 

Post # 5
792 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

aw! ((hugs!)) I hope he gets better soon.

Also I notice he is knawing on some leaves to the top of a pineapple, do you have any house plants he knaws on. I don’t know if you know this, but some plants are toxic to cats, and well if he is eating them, that might be why he is sick, but I don’t know.
Hope something gets figured out soon!

Post # 6
3124 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

do what you have to do and then figure out if they’ll meet you in the middle.  I think they will – especially since they were 100% wrong with their diagnosis.  In people, that = lawsuits. I’m not an advocate for suing for everything, but i’m just saying.

That pic is adorable!  Good luck to you.  <3 <3 <3

Post # 8
5495 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Do you have any particular plants he was chewing on? That might have made him not feel good. This makes me so angry! I absolutly hate it when vets do this. I agree with EJS-try and talk down some of those charges. It’s total BS that they were sure it was life threatening and then they were wong. Keep fighting, and keep us updated with how he is doing!

Post # 9
14181 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Maybe your regular vet will work with you. I was going to clinic A for awhile to treat the ringworm issue i had and it wasn’t working (it was so bad it was killing my cat) so i transferred him to clinic B upon a personal recommendation. I was lamenting about how much i’d already spent and he was very nice about not over-charging me and talking me through cost options and not just being a price-gouger. It definitely sounds liek this was the case with this e-clinic you were at. Not to mention this doctor made TWO (not one…two) 100% wrong diagnoses. Definitely incompetent to me.

Is your kitty still at that vet? When can you move him and have your regular vet take a look at him? Will you get to know the biopsy soon at least?

Post # 11
1756 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m unfamiliar with veterinary costs in San Francisco, and I assume they’re somewhat higher than I’m used to. But your initial $2500 for overnight care, ultrasound, radiographs, bloodwork (I’m assuming), IV fluids and medications (also assuming) seems a little steep. In the markets I’m accustomed to and somewhat increasing for San Fran ER prices, I’d envision that costing $1300-1800, tops. The $3500 for abdominal surgery is absurd. Soft tissue surgery should be about $1000-2000, even with biopsies. However, be glad that your vet knew to take biopsies – there is no excuse for opening an abdomen, not finding what you think you’ll find, and leaving without taking any samples. Did the vet have any theories on why the imaging they did suggested a blockage, vs the contrary results of the exploratory surgery? That seems weird to me. And for whatever it’s worth, a non-swollen pancreas does not rule out pancreatitis – getting a definitive “This animal has pancreatitis” diagnosis in cats is really challenging, and not even surgery is 100%. 

I hope the biopsies give you some sort of diagnosis. Or that Toki just starts feeling better. Poor little dude. 🙁

Post # 13
1756 posts
Buzzing bee

No, even for an emergency vet, $3500 for soft tissue surgery is insane. I’m also somewhat uncomfortable with their declaration that he 100% had an obstruction. Giving anything in medicine a 100% guarantee is difficult. “Highly suggestive” – sure. “Definitive” – not so much. It somewhat sounds like they strong-armed you into an overpriced surgery. I’d definitely negotiate with them. It sucks to have to nitpick when your kitty is still sick, but you have room to bargain. They were wrong.

Post # 14
3997 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Oh no!  Poor kitty.  I hope this all works out, I know how scary it can be to wait for results!  They’re like our children 🙁

Post # 15
3124 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

you take redherring with you to the vet and she will straighten things out for you pronto! 

Post # 16
166 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Sounds to me like this stupid vet took advantage of a person who was obviously distraught over the poor health of her cat-sorry to say but it happens A LOT! It happened to me too, my little furbaby girl had what we think was a seizure and called our regular vet who told us to take her to an er-vet and what did that vet do? Absolutely nothing! Except tried to charge us almost $300 just to look at her, my regular vet was very mad and apologized for sending us over there. Take your kitty back to your regular vet and have them take a look.

The topic ‘We’ve spent $5300 and they still don’t know what’s wrong with my cat’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors