Post # 1
Did you score a better deal by waiting?
DH and I are going to Mexico for our first anniversary in early October but we’ve yet to actually book it. He thought that if we put it off for a little while, we would get a better deal but it seems as though his logic is fucked. I just did my weekly trip customization to see how much it would be and after decreasing steadily over the last few weeks, it just bumped up a couple $100 p/person. I don’t want to wait much longer and risk it getting even more expensive but we’ve compromised and we’ll give it another 2 weeks. We’re booking no later than August 1st but I’m fairly certain we’ll end up paying more in the long run.
Does anyone have experience with this? Will I be pleasantly surprised when I go to book or will DH be in the “casa de perro” (dog house)?
Post # 3
I’ve booked a few trips about a month out, but was pretty flexible on where we wanted to go, and would have taken whatever was a deal, and always kind of have about 5 itineraries partially planned and monitored for pricing. Did it just jump today? That could be the infamous weekend price jump, and keep an eye on it again on Tuesday and see if it goes back down.
Post # 4
I’ve always wanted to wait until the last minute because I’ve heard the deals can be awesome, but I’m too scared! I do know for our honeymoon to Belize I subscribed to airline price updates from Yapta.com. The prices dropped about 6 months before our honeymoon so I snagged our tickets quickly, then the prices slowly kept going up until just a couple of weeks before our honeymoon, and then they were back down to the price we bought them at 6 months earlier. So I guess unless you want to wait till closer to the trip, you might be paying a bit more (totally a guess though).
Post # 5
@SapphireSun: I’m not sure when it jumped. Last time I looked was maybe 3-4 days ago and it was like $300 less p/person. Good call on checking on Tuesday. I’ll definitely do that. 🙂
As for the flexibility, I know that I probably should be flexible since we’re waiting to book but I kind of have my heart set on this certain resort. It’s Mexico, land of a million resorts, so if we end up not being able to book the one we’re planning on, I’ll deal with it and I’m sure we’ll still have a great time but I’d really like to try to snag a room at this specific resort (Secrets Capri) if we can.
Post # 6
I’ve booked fairly last minute but it always costs me a fortune. A chunk of my family lives in another country, so when there are emergencies (funerals, hospializations), it’s expensive to get there.
Post # 7
@ebet24: Eeek! I don’t think I have the balls to book so last minute. Maybe if I was totally flexible as far as dates and such go but since we’re traveling for a specific purpose (our anniversary), we kind of want to be in Mexico for it.
Post # 8
I monitor fares for a long time but usually buy if either the price suddey drops or 2 months out if they have been steady. I would only wait if I were comfortable not taking the trip if prices spiked. Another thing I do is check how full the flights look…start the booking process and try to select seats and see how many available spaces there are (sometimes that info is abailable w/o going through the booking process as well). If the flight is close to capacity months in advance, I worry that the flight will book up and I don’t wait.
Post # 9
What’s the weather like in Mexico/Carribean at that time of the year? I hope you guys have fun. It’s always cool to travel. Oh, and what website are you using for your search?
Post # 10
6 weeks before departure is considered all last minute BUT the closer you get the cheaper the resorts can be. At this point I would say that the prices will just keep rising until that 6 week mark and then they should drop.
My parents have gone to amazing 5 star resorts for a fraction of the price just by booking a few days before.
Post # 11
@bRooklynRocks: High 80’s, which I honestly don’t love (I’m more of 65/70 degree kinda girl) but I figure it won’t matter much if I’m lounging on a beach.
I’ve primarily been using Orbitz since they’ve been the cheapest but I’m keeping my options open.
Post # 12
I booked a flight about 24 hours before it left before… It cost more than your average small private island… and that was AFTER I chose the sucky itinerary with a twelve-hour-long layover. 🙁
Post # 13
Latest was a month before, but it was an impromptu decision because there was a great deal we couldn’t pass up on the flights.
Post # 14
My work booked me to fly to Malaysia really last minute for a conference. AKA a week and a half out.
Yeah – those flights weren’t cheap.
ETA: And I had to book them on my personal card and then submit for reimbursment.
Post # 15
I forgot! Flights WILL be more expensive, but resort packages usually are not. Look at the resort you want to go to and look at the price if you were to leave tomorrow, next week, in 3 weeks etc… it should give you a good idea especially since early October is also usually low season still!
Post # 16
We’ve booked almost everything about 3-4 weeks before we go. It seems to be good and we’ve lucked out doing it that way.
We booked our honey moon a little earlier – maybe about 6-7 weeks before. It went down $100 pp right after that, but now (2 weeks to go) its up about $200pp.
Sometimes Sellofvacations.com and other sites have price drop protection, so maybe see if you can find something like that?
ETA: all of these last minute bookings we’ve done are all inclusive vacations to Cuba, Costa RIca, etc.