What are your 2020 reading goals?

posted 7 months ago in Entertainment
Post # 17
91 posts
Worker bee

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  I haven’t actually heard of The Vine Witch before. My favourite fantasy I read this year was Circe by Madeline Miller, which is based on greek mythology.

I also really enjoyed Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid, which is technically historical fiction (not a genre I read much of)

Which genres do you usually gravitate towards?

Post # 19
515 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  We have really similar reading tastes! I’ll have to get Goodreads so I can keep track of how many books I read in a year. I also loved the Zoe Bently series, and I read the Angie Pallorino books by Loreth Anne White and loved them! I’ll have to give the other books in your list a shot too ๐Ÿ™‚ I find so many great books through Amazon’s monthly free read.

Post # 20
5002 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
loveydove :  Don’t feel bad – I’m in the same boat.  I think I only read four “fun” books this year (and one might be a novella).  I think I have eight books for the year overall counting the four books I read for grad school.  If only the approximately 2200 pages worth of journal articles I also read for all of my classes actually counted for something towards my goodreads goal. 

I was a voracious reader as a kid, but then burned out on school and also reading.  I challenged myself to 10 books the first year I did goodreads and then kept upping it by 2-4.  I hit 33 and had my goal up to 36 when I impulsively went back school where I’m lucky to average about 5 per year the last 4-5 years.  Hopefully, unless I go for my Ph.D. after this, I’ll get back to reading for pleasure, but for this year I’m aiming for 6.

Post # 21
334 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2020

I loooooove my Kindle Paperwhite. I have the original one, I think, but it’s still kickin’ and it was the best purchase for reading.

I want to finish the “Outlander” series and then “The Handmaid’s Tale.”

Post # 23
2705 posts
Sugar bee

I read 15 “for fun” books this year, and would love to double that next year – which I think I could easily do if I read more instead of watching netflix. My preferred genres are literary fiction, memoirs, and self improvement. That said, I read a lot for my field, so I don’t always feel like relaxing with a book too. And I do listen to a lot of podcasts, too, so my true crime/politics/nonfiction itches are mostly scratched through those. 

Post # 24
754 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  Thanks! A lot of my books I have now on the shelf aren’t really work book types for personal development, they’re mostly ones that end chapters with prayers or just general reflection questions. I’m the type to really absorb things when I write it down, so I take the time to journal so I know i’m getting the most out of my books ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Post # 25
3015 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017 - Courthouse

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  I love reading! 

2019 was the first year I did a reading challenge and I decided to set it to 24 books. I ended up reading 25 ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m pretty proud of that because the first two months or so of my pregnancy I felt like crap and instead of reading at night, I went straight to bed.  So I missed out on reading for a while. 

I’m a weird reader and I’ll read 3 books in a week and then take a week off. It all depends on my mood. 

My favorite books are any kind of fantasy or young adult fantasy. I will also throw in some suspense/domestic thrillers as well as classics. 

This year I read all but the last Mortal Instruments series and loved it. I’m reading the sixth and final book now. I also enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express-Agatha Christie, Amory Ames mysteries – Ashley Weaver, The Fork, the Witch and the Worm-Christopher Paolin (Eragon author), Red Queen book #2 Glass Sword-Victoria Aveyard, and a few more! 

Post # 26
526 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  That’s seriously impressive! I wish there were more hours in the day for reading. 

Speed-reading + being able to use public transportation several times a week = 150+ books per year.  Other people sleep or watch Netflix on the train, I read.

Post # 27
616 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2019

I read a book a week and have for several years. I just finished the Vine Witch and look forward to the sequel coming out in June. I am a fan of magical realism. My favorite book this year was The Patron Saint of Ugly. 

Post # 28
157 posts
Blushing bee

I just finished my bachelors degree in nursing, while working full time and managing a house/yard/kid/puppy! I can’t wait to start reading in my new-found free time! I don’t really know where to start, or what some good books are. I am thinking about getting a kindle, and trying to set a goal of at least 2-3 books per month. I’m hoping it will help alieveiate some anxiety and help me relax a little! Reading is on my New Years resolution list for 2020!

Post # 30
3015 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017 - Courthouse

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  I think we’ve talked about Poirot before because so few people know who I’m talking about haha. 

I really enjoyed The Wife Between Us and The Last Mrs.Parrish. Those were two of the best domestic thrillers I’ve read in a while. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors