What are your 2020 reading goals?

posted 7 months ago in Entertainment
Post # 32
1344 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2019

View original reply
sarathemermaid :  The Wife Between Us and The Last Mrs. Parrish are two of my favorites, as well! I also loved The Woman in the Window and The Couple Next Door.

Post # 34
2705 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
ladyvictoria : Oh man, I wish I had a fireplace to read in front of on the weekends, that sounds so lovely!

Yeah, there are definitely times I could fit in more reading. I do have a Kindle which I got over the summer, and in the time I’ve had it I’ve been reading more too. I do love how easy it is to throw in my bag and take anywhere, and also how easy it is to buy a book and be able to read it instantly. I held out for a long time thinking I’d hate Kindles, but I’m a convert now. 

Post # 35
3015 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017 - Courthouse

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  I also don’t really like Mrs. Marple haha. I find Poirot so much more interesting. I’ve never read a Mrs. Marple book but I’ve watched a lot of the tv renditions and the whole time I’m watching them, I just miss Poirot lol. 

Post # 36
1650 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  sadly I have zero drive or energy for personal reading these days, I have to read a lot for university. I’ve set some high goals for myself academically and I do enjoy reading so study is a priority right now. 

I enjoy reading a range of topics, but I should get to my French which I’ve been putting off…. as my inlaws are French, mine is limited n rusty. 

I like psycho thrillers and really well written twisty plots. Not into romance, fantasy, sci-fi, etc. I do like some true crime and history

Post # 37
3015 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017 - Courthouse

View original reply
wineosaur :  Yes I also liked The Couple Next Door! Ill have to read the Woman in the Window. I haven’t heard of that. 

Post # 38
335 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2020

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  Oh, definitely watch the show. It was SO GOOD. I can’t believe I waited as long as I did to watch it and once my boyfriend and I started, we couldn’t stop. It was amazing. Kept me guessing and it was so beautifully shot. 

Post # 39
672 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2020

I love the kindle/Goodreads combo!! I had a 2019 goal of 50, and quickly surpassed it, so upped to 70… ended the year at 86. I read on the subway on my commute and get a new job (slightly farther away) so that helped!

For 2020 I put 70 books. I figure with wedding planning, etc. I might not make the time I did in 2019.

Post # 41
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2020

I usually hit around 175-185 books a year so I set my goal at 150.  I am always litstening to one book for commuting, etc and reading one on my kindle. 

Post # 42
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2020

View original reply
ellyd23 :  I totally count audiobooks also, I never understood why people don’t.  

Post # 43
1277 posts
Bumble bee

This is a little embarrasing to admit because I love to read…. but after grad school I just got out of the habit of reading for fun. I have to write lengthy reports for work…. so I tend to zone in front of the TV or zone on the Bee during free time. Then I get mad at myself for wasting so much time.

That said… I do miss reading for fun so decided to try to get back into it this year. I love Malcolm Gladwell and my husband just bought me his latest book at Costco. Also… I have loved the Handmaid’s tale series on Hulu. I read the book many years ago, and re read it after I got interested in the series. I also just recently finished The Testaments which is the follow up to the Handmaid’s Tale. 

I think I’ll start small and give myself one to two books per month and see how I do!~

Post # 44
154 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

My goal for 2019 was 24 and I read 34, so I went ahead and planned for 36 books in 2020. I think the best way for me to get to read more is going to be to just stop reading anything I’m not into – it takes way more time to finish those and I feel guilty reading something else because I’m supposed to be reading that. So, no more reading of meh books.

I’ve also been getting a lot of books from the library, it’s the best! I read on my phone, Kindle (best thing ever!), physical books, and audiobooks. I think they all count.

I read mostly sci-fi and fantasy, but did listen to Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg this year, and I’ve got Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes lined up for when I finish the stack of books I got for Christmas. 

I like listening to the Reading Glasses and Sword and Laser podcasts.

Post # 45
672 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2020

View original reply
ladyvictoria :  When I drive or take a bus (which makes me carsick), I listen to audiobooks! I’ll even listen to them on my walk to and from the subway, and then switch to Kindle when I get on the train. Definitely how I read so many… and also helps me feel less guilty about planting myself in front of the TV when I get home.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors