(Closed) What are your 9/11 memories?

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 4
9482 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

I was in 8th grade.  We were sitting in history class talking about war (ironically).  I remember our principal walking down to the classroom, asking our teacher to step out for a minute, and our teacher walking in and breaking the news.  At that time, only one plane crashed into the towers.  All I could think was “oh, how terrible! Those poor people.”  We later were told that another plane hit the other tower.  My teacher brought up the word terrorism.  I was so confused as to what that meant.  After she explained,  I was baffled as to why any one would want to attack our country.  I was scared out of my mind because I lived 20 minutes from Philadelphia.  All I could think about was bombs/nuclear/etc happening there.  

My mom eventually came to pick us up about an hour after the attacks.  She was the first person to notify our school as to what was happening (she called my grandmother who worked at the school).  She was pregnant with my youngest brother at the time and was terrified.  Her then husband delivered ice/milk and was supposed to be in NYC that day (we later found out that his route was changed to DE).  My mom gathered me, my three brothers, and two cousins into her tiny Jimmy and drove home crying.  We weren’t allowed to talk about it in front of my little brother so we sat in silence.  

Later that afternoon, my friend came home hysterical.  She was in 9th grade at the time and said that certain people were celebrating that our attack.  These said people were laughing in American faces and saying we deserved what we got.  It broke my heart.

I will never forget the fear I lived through that entire year.  I was scared to go on bridges to Philly.  I didn’t want to travel to NYC.  The sound of planes made my skin crawl.

Post # 5
546 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Wow amazinf story!

Post # 6
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Wow.  What an amazing story.  Glad to hear your friend is alright.

I remember waking up and hearing Peter Jennings voice.  I knew it was something bad.  I loved that everyone came together and said “We are Americans!  We love our country! We are not afraid!”  All the flags, the yellow ribbons, signs, etc.  Made me teary to see everyone standing together.

We are hanging a flag up today and will shine a spotlight on it until Monday morning.  Never forget.

Post # 7
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

oh my gosh! that story is amazing!

I was in eighth grade(homeschooled) and was just finishing up calf chores when our milkman came. I remember what a beautiful clear sky it was as I walked up to the barn.

I get there and the milkman is all in a tizzy talking to my parents about some plane crash or something so we go in the house. We turned on the tv – my whole family plus the milkman – just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. I thought the same as you – it was a replay of the first and couldn’t comprehend what was going on when we I realized it was live.

We were glued to the tv all day and just watched. I remember my parents being concerned because we are within a couple hours of Chicago and we didn’t know if they were going to go after the Sears Tower or the nuclear plant about 1.5 hours from us.

I really remember some of the stories of people they interviewed – the one I’ll never forgot was a husband who ignored his phone ringing because it was early morning (he was in CA) and when he got up and listened to the message, it was his wife calling from one of the planes (she was supposed to be flying back to CA) and she was telling him how much she loved him and goodbye. The reporter asked him what he was going to do and he said he bought and shovel and was going to NY to help dig. It was so awful and I always wondered what happened to him – knowing that he ignored that call.

Post # 8
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@Rouquine: My Darling Husband was in History that morning too! I remember not knowing what terrorism and this ‘Osama bin Laden’ person was.

The one way it’s really affected me is anytime I hear a plane flying low – I always have that thought. Darling Husband and I live close to an airport now and some routes come in over the apartment, and I always have to stop and listen.

Post # 9
3620 posts
Sugar bee

It was my freshman year of college. I had a single dorm room, and was getting used to the freedom of not having to get up early for classes, since all of my classes were in the afternoon. It was unusual if I was up before 11am that semester!

On the morning of September 11th, I don’t know what compelled me, but I sat BOLT UPRIGHT in bed, and turned on the TV just around 8am. I never wake up early without an alarm, and I definitely never turn on the TV upon waking. Imagine my surprise when I saw the news… it was eerie.

My brothers, two recently “ex” Marines and one active Air Force member were the first thing on my mind. Would they be okay? Would they get called back? What was going on? I called my mom, as she was already at work and hadn’t seen or heard anything.

For the rest of the day, I kept my door open – most of the girls on my floor crowded into my small dorm room to watch the news on my 13″ tv… which was also strange because lots of people had larger tv’s on our floor, but for some reason, everyone felt like congregating with me. I had more info than most, since I had seen the second plane hit live on TV and had been watching ever since.

I did have to take a break to run to my Math class to turn in a take-home test. I let the TA know what had happened, as he had been teaching since 8am and hadn’t seen the news. He cancelled the rest of his sessions for the day.

Eventually I found a ride back to my parents’ house for the evening, knowing that my mom was an absolute mess, worried of course, for my brother. She had a meltdown immediately upon hearing about the Pentagon being hit. I had to be the rock for most of my friends, the source of information, while meanwhile I was falling apart inside not knowing how it would impact my military family.

I remember becoming almost obsessed – I couldn’t stop watching the news. I didn’t sleep for probably 5 days, just was constantly watching television to find out what would happen next.

My brothers, fortunately, did not have to be involved in active combat, but my cousin enlisted in the Marines shortly thereafter, and has since spent 3 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. My husband’s stepbrother has done a tour as well, as a member of the National Guard. They’ve both known soldiers who have been severely injured or killed in the conflict over there.

It was certainly a coming-of-age event for me as a freshman in college. Obviously nothing like that had ever happened in my lifetime, and it’s something I will never forget. I cannot believe 10 years has passed already… I remember every detail like it was yesterday…

Post # 10
347 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@hisgoosiegirl:

that story about the man is heart wrenching. I cant imagine that.

Post # 11
3671 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I remember being in science class in eighth grade and it was picture day.  My biggest problem was that I had gotten braces put on the day before.  We went and had our pictures taken first.  I can’t remember if it was during the pictures or in the classroom but the principal came to talk to our teacher about something.  We continued class as normal and then the bell rang.  We went to head to our next class and noticed everyone was upset and some people were crying.  They told us what had happened and the teachers in the other classrooms had turned on the news and those classes had seen the second plane hit.  We didn’t understand why our teacher hadn’t told us but now I realize he probably wanted us to have one last little bit of normalcy before we found out (and I can imagine he was probably scared too and didn’t know what to do).  

Living in a small town in SC though I had no idea of the extent of the situation, I honestly had no idea what the World Trade Center was.  I should have, we were supposed to go to NYC at the end of the year (we still did).  On my walk home I remember no planes flying.  We used to always have a plane fly over my neighborhood on my way home (and one at 10pm) and both were absent.  I watched the news and it was then that I realized what had happened.  Our school had assemblies and sent out notices not to let us watch too much.

Strangely enough, it scared me but it took a full month for me to realize the extent of what had happened.  I was sitting at home one day and I realized how much it affected as far as a sense of personal safety as well as national security and that things weren’t going to be the same.  My heart still goes out to those affected personally though and I still tear up when I see images or hear stories.  

Post # 12
9482 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

@hisgoosiegirl: Oh my gosh.  The story about the man brought tears to my eyes.  🙁

Has anyone read the People story that featured the children of 9/11?  I cried my eyes out at work reading it.  

Post # 13
5800 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

I was a senior in high school and was in an information session for the University of Miami when the first plane hit. I was walking to my Orchestra class afterwars when some student in the hallway said a plane had just crashed into one of the towers. I remember saying “No way, what a stupid thing to say” to one of my friends. Then I got to class an saw it on tv 🙁

One of my coworkers was in one of the towers and she still panics when there are large crowds of people waiting for the elevator in our building.

I used to work in lower manhattan and the PATH used to go through the “hole” before it pulled into the station. I took it to work on the 5th anniversary and I guess I was half asleep and didn’t remember that it was 9/11 until we pulled into the hole. There were police officers formed into two squares to represent the foundation of the towers and everyone in the train just went dead silent. It has to be one of the most somber moments I have ever experienced.

Post # 14
3620 posts
Sugar bee

One of the eeriest things that I recall from the days/weeks following 9/11 was a conversation I had with my aunt… she and my uncle were at a trade show the weekend before (just a couple of days before the planes hit) and she had turned to my uncle upon exiting the towers, glancing up at the sheer magnitude of the towers and said to him “Can you imagine if a plane ever hit one of these? The devastation?” Needless to say, a few days later, her words seemed prophetic. She was severely shaken up by that…

Post # 15
3671 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

@Rouquine: I saw the picture/headline/description on CNN and immediately teared up so I haven’t been able to bring myself to read it yet. 

Post # 16
2018 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

Oh this will be a good thread, thank you:)  I was in college and working on my journalism degree.  That semester I was working on the school paper as an editor and writer.  So, I had a late class that day and got up around 7:30-8 am (West Coast time).  I always listened to Howard Stern in the mornings while I got ready.  So I turned on the bathroom radio and he’s going on and on about Osama Bin Laden and planes going into the World Trade Center.

At first I thought he was on some random rant about terrorists and when I realized that this was really happening, I turned on the t.v. and then ran out of the house because my first thought was “I’ve got to get to the newsroom!” 

And when I got there we all figured out who would go where to cover what.  I got airport and Federal Building duty and we had a photog with us.  Even though we were in LA, it was kind of crazy because there were rumors that there were planes still headed for LA (which where they were headed).  So, they had shut down LAX and it was completely surrounded by LAPD and they getting ready in case something happened. 

I wrote two articles, turned them in and went home to watch the coverage I had missed while I was running around town.  I don’t know about everyone else, but I was in complete shock.  I had read an article about a year before that and there was expert quoted in there an he said that that America was going to be attacked on our own soil.  He said that were over-confident that nothing could happen here and he was proven right exactly a year later. That stood out in my mind and it will forever.

Just today, I Googled to see if they had identified everyone who was in the towers or on the planes.  Answer: No, not even close.  But I read that they had found 20,000 body parts and in one case, 200 pieces that belonged to one person.  And I’m just still so sickened and angered by the whole thing, from thinking about all those ruined lives to having to undress before I can get on an airplane.

The topic ‘What are your 9/11 memories?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors