Post # 1
Most of 2009 was dedicated to planning the wedding, changing jobs, and dealing with a family crisis. With 2010 on the horizon, my goals for the new year are:
1. Get us on a budget!
- We are going to start using the “envelope system” for groceries, toiletries and eating out. Starting small, and hopefully getting better from there. Has anyone tried this?
- We also are going to start living on the 10/10/80 principle. We already tithe 10% of every paycheck, but we are going to start putting another 10% in savings, and live off the remaining 80%!
2. Prepare for motherhood!
- No, there are no “buns in the oven” right now, but I would like for it to happen around this time next year! So this year will be dedicated to getting my body baby-ready. What does this mean?
- Eat more “real” foods with healthy nutrients (not just low calorie “fake” foods).
- Limit my alcohol intake to just the weekends, and limited at that!
- Exercise and lose 20 pounds ASAP!
What are your goals for 2010?
Post # 3
Mine are very similar! I haven’t tried the envelope system, but I am reading the Dave Ramsey books and starting the baby steps.
- Get out of debt!! Pay off the last two credit cards.
- Save, save, save! After the wedding, we have nothing left for a rainy day.
- Clean up my credit report so we can buy a house once we know where we will be living (hubs job will be relocating him). The sins of my 20’s have come back to haunt me!
- Like August15, start prepping for a baby!
- Bring up my GPA. Take at least 3 classes per semester. I’ve been slacking.
- FIND A NEW JOB. Even if it takes all dang year.
- Work on my body until I’m comfortable wearing shorts again. GIANT goal for me!
Post # 4
@Laylabelle: I’ve been reading Dave Ramsey too! Our only (!) debts right now are some crazy big student loans. I would love to get out from under them, but we have gotten our payments down pretty far and have just learned to live with them. I need to get some motivation to pay those suckers off!
Post # 5
@August15 – Wow, that’s awesome!!! I feel like i’m going to drown in my debt. I had a really bad run of bad luck with 5 layoffs in my 20’s (I definitely chose the wrong industry!) and since I was just starting out, I used credit for most everything. Now my credit report is jacked. I have student loans, but I’m still in school. We have two car payments. He has two credit cards, and we want to buy a house and have a baby.
I feel like we’ll never crawl out! But the Dave Ramsey books and stories are giving me hope!
Post # 6
I have one major goal for 2010: get a full time job!! I graduated from university this past July and jobs are scarce 🙁 No job = no house hunting & wedding planning!
Post # 7
I would also like to pay down debt in 2010. The thought of my student loans coming due scares the heck out of me : I’d also like to save as much as possible, and start eating better and exercise more so I’ll fit in my wedding gown come June!
Post # 8
Great thread! My goals are:
- Stop eating fast food.
- Stop drinking colas
- Work on my blog :o)
- Excersize using Yoga (problems with my joints since I’ve gained 15lbs)
- Hopefully lose the above 15lbs.
- Get the pup checked for Heartworm and on meds to prevent it (it’s a silent killer). I actually did this yesterday!
- Have the Fiance book the DJ :o)
- Get a job! (Will be finishing my Au.D. in August- 2 weeks before the wedding)
Post # 9
I want, no need, to find some serenity and peace and quiet in 2010.
Post # 11
We’ve tried the envelope system and it didnt work! YIkes, having cash in the house that we knew we had, we just kept slipping into it for this and that saying we would just put money back in it later but not end up doing it. We have a problem with saving so here it goes:
1) Actually balance our check book and record all our expenses so we wont overdraft the stupid bank anymore
2) SAVE for house
3) Doing something charitable
4) Stop being so darn grouchy in the morning
5) Eat healthier/exercise more
6) Cut down on smoking
7) Stop letting others selfishness affect me as a person
Post # 12
@tammy – I’m a bit worried about having all that accessible cash, but we’ll see how it goes!
I just got home from an hour of Total Body Toning class at the gym and a one mile run. Trying to get a jumpstart on the new year. 🙂